PDA

View Full Version : An acquaintance gave DD a recalled Lamaze toy a week after she was born....

egan284
05-10-2004, 03:46 AM
I just found out a couple of minutes ago that this toy had been recalled due to excessive lead content in the paint, here is the link:
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03532.html

OMG I am so upset. I let her play with it for about a month now, and she likes gumming and licking it. In fact, this is one of her favorite toys.
I feel so bad, and am furious; angry at myself for not checking it before giving it to DD, angry at the person though I think I do her injustice in being so.

I hope this doesn't lead to a serious problem... I feel so sad. Poor DD :(

Off to check the symptom of Lead poisoning.

AngelaS
05-10-2004, 07:12 AM
Your friend did not know, you did not know and really doubt that she would've gotten much lead exposure. Seems like unless the paint is flaking off or there is dust, the lead should kind of be 'sealed' in the paint.

And, you caught this before she's had it very long. She'll be fine!

Kieransmom
05-10-2004, 07:51 AM
Uggh...I can't offer any advice, only sympathy. I would be freaking out too.

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

rrosen
05-10-2004, 08:43 AM
Ok, now I am freaking out right along with you! We have both of these toys. Ours have different color wires so I am hoping that means we have improved versions. I am off to call Learning curve to find out.

Rebecca

Update: I just spoke to a customer service rep. Mine are the new versions, and are ok. Are you sure you have the recalled version?

sadie2
05-10-2004, 02:15 PM
Hey there, just wanted to tell you we have the flower as well. I picked it out myself, and will be promply sending it back for a refund. I am trying to remain calm given that the paint has not chipped or anything like that, which probably increases the liklihood of problems. also, our daughter's lead was checked in the last 3 months and it was fine. So,. go get your childs lead checked out just for peace of mind. we will have it checked again this week at our regular appt. what makes me more upset is that they used lead pain in childrens toys. that is just unacceptable. we cant protect our children from everything, but c'mon....anyway, just wanted you to know you werent the only one!

egan284
05-10-2004, 04:25 PM
I just wrote down my reply, now it's gone.

Anyway, mine (the "soft bead buddies") has yellow wires, is yours the same as mine? I just called the customer service and she said that mine was not the one recallled! Phew, what a relief!

Rebecca, thanks a lot for pointing the little, but important, detail out.
Ladies, thanks for your support. I am sorry to have freaked you out.

lisams
05-10-2004, 04:30 PM
Have her lead level checked just to give you peace of mind. I'm sure your friend had NO idea at all so try to understand that, she was trying to be thoughtful in lending you the toy. Just make sure you tell her so she doesn't lend it to someone else.

Lisa

sadie2
05-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Just spoke with Learning Curve. If the flower ring thing (with the beads) is purple, then you are fine. If its green, give them a call for refund. They do not normally use lead paint in childrens toys.

Lmoor
05-11-2004, 04:00 PM
Don't feel bad or sad! I work for the EPA. Here is a link to lead based paint dangers:

http://www.epa.gov/opptintr/lead/

Lead based paint is really only a problem if it chips and is ingested - and I don't mean just a little tiny nick of a chip! Many old homes - pre 70's homes - have lead based paint, and it's really only considered an issue for young children who eat paint chips. Even in these old homes, if the paint is not peeling and flaking and cracking, it's not an issue.