PDA

View Full Version : gift for 2 year old

cchavez
05-11-2004, 08:35 PM
Our neighbor's son will be turning two next month. Any suggestions as to what to get him? Any particular toy? Or should I pass on the toy and get hime something else.....a hooded towel, backpack, etc??? I am trying to brainstorm ideas and after realizing that my son got tons of toys for his b-day I am trying to think out of the box. Not that I am opposed to getting him a toy but I don't even know which one!! I would like to spend around 15.00 and no more than 20.00. Oh, he is starting Mother's DAy out in the FAll so anything he could use for that might be a good gift???? TIA!

egoldber
05-11-2004, 09:06 PM
I think that consumables are always a good gift. You can never have too much Playdoh, crayons, drawing paper, etc.

Or, do you know if he has something like a Brio or Thomas train set? If so, you may want to get some extra cars or accessories for that.

HTH,

mjit
05-12-2004, 02:16 PM
The previous reply was good, about the crayons and paper. My 2yo ds loves to draw. He also loves his Mega-Bloks (he has a Mega-Bloks dump truck, too, and he's been playing with that all day every day for months, even without the blocks). He also loves his big, blue inflated ball from Wal-Mart.

Here's the truck we have:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/dmart/megbloklildu.html

Here's an even bigger MB truck for $24.99:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00004TS0O/qid=1084382506/sr=1-11/ref=sr_1_11/102-0582944-8024121?v=glance&s=toys

These trucks actually come with the Maxi-Bloks, so they're a littler easier for younger kids to build with...

riostoker
05-12-2004, 03:05 PM
The big hits in our house for the two year old are Barnyard Bingo (Fisher Price game), and Mr. Potato Head. Each of those is about $15.

One "outside the box" idea is a magazine subscription. I really like both Baby Bug (age 6 mo. - 2) and Lady Bug (age 2-5), but those are a bit more expensive. I saw one on Amazon though called Preschool Playroom that is $20. I've never seen it in person, but that might be a fun idea:

http://tinyurl.com/ys9fo

ann

sarasprings
05-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Ok, here's my frugal answer: we made our son wooden blocks by cutting up maple and cherry branches that were cut down at our house and a neighbors. We have a big box of blocks now -- of course, they are mostly cylinders, but we have a couple of heart shaped ones and some y shaped ones. He loves them. My husband used a circular saw to do it.

The other things we gave him were a few playsilks that I bought and dyed.

Besides that, he is really into a wooden workbench that I got at a local store, but saw at Target.

Also, any kind of push toy for outside (lawnmower and doll stroller) are really popular with all the 2 year olds that come over to play.

He also loves, loves, loves his wooden cutting food with velcro (melissa and doug). One of our neighbors got the set for his 2 year old because he played with it at our house all of the time.

With the playdoh, you could make your own, then get a nice set of wooden rolling pins, pounders, cookie cutters for the price you want to spend.

Good luck!