PDA

View Full Version : sun block questions

CBB
05-13-2004, 02:34 PM
What brand sun screen do you use for your baby? Do you use it whenever you take the baby out or only for extended sun exposure?

Thanks,

etwahl
05-13-2004, 02:52 PM
neutrogena sensitive skin. LOVE it. very good and highly recommended on other posts we've talked about! it's an spf 30.

i don't use it ALL the time, just when we're going to be in the sun. although i probably should start using it every morning now that it's summer.

Tammy,
Mom to Lauren Genevieve
03/12/2003
www.evantammy.com

kaitlinsmommy
05-13-2004, 04:58 PM
We use Baby Magic. She always wears it when we play outside in the afternoon or if we go swimming.

tina-t
05-13-2004, 10:36 PM
We use the Target brand baby sunblock whenever we go out. It's getting hot here in Northern CA.

tippy
05-14-2004, 01:42 AM
Here is what my pediatricians office had posted in their office on my last visit...

Sunscreen is important for children (DUH!)

We recommend sunscreen for everyone, regardless of age. (Double DUH!)

Anyone having sunscreen applied for the first times should have it applied to a small area of skin first in order to check for reactions prior to more extensive use.

Sunscreens that are CHEMICAK FREE and contain only ZINC OXIDE or TITANIUM DIOXIDE as the active ingredient are best for children. This is very important for several reasons.

1. Zinc Oxide and Titanium Dioxide are inert substances.
2. These sunscreens are hypoallergenic.
3. They will not irritate the eyes.
4. They protect against both uvA and uvB rays.

The followin are examples of chemical free sunscreens available in drugstores:

Neutrogena 17 or 30 for Sensitive Skin
CVS 17 for Sensitive Skin
Ti Screen 16
PreSun 28
Clinique City Block 15 and Clinique 25 (for moms!)

Hope this helps.

darby24
05-14-2004, 03:17 AM
We all (including my 2 year old nephew J.) use Melaleuca's Sun Shades 30.

Everyday it's put on my nephew J, but nephew S. is still too little at 7 weeks of age.

icemamma
05-14-2004, 07:33 PM
I saw a good thread on this in the Reality Layette section...

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=8&topic_id=558&mode=full

i c e m a mm a

Java
05-15-2004, 01:03 AM
Whenever we've taken DS to the beach he's been in a long-sleeve onesie, long pants, a hat (never leaves the house with it) and Neutrogena Sensitive SPF30 on his face.

The first few trips I completely forgot about his hands (plus I didn't want him eating the stuff) but I've noticed that his hands are tanned now (eek - a Farmer Brown at 7 months! :P)! So I've started putting sunblock on the back of his hands too.

The beaches here haven't gotten hot yet so we can wear all that stuff. I imagine when it starts hitting above 75 degrees I'll put him in shorts - not sure yet about short sleeves. He's so milky white I'm afraid he's going to get burned!

When we spent the day at the zoo I put the stuff on all exposed skin.

I'm not as diligent on his walks - I just make sure he's covered by the stroller canopy.

MariFP
05-15-2004, 09:46 AM
I got the Coppertone Water Babies SPF 45. I put on DD when we go out for a stroll or if she will be sitting on the back yard with me. I always put a hat on her anyway.

supersparkee
05-15-2004, 11:27 PM
I love the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin SPF 30 as well. I use it on my own face daily (even before DD came along!). DD is very fair with sensitive skin (sometimes snaps irritate her) and we have had no problems with this sunblock.

missym
05-18-2004, 05:20 PM
After reading this thread (thanks, ladies), I went to Walgreens to get some Neutrogena Sensitive Skin sun block. They had in-store coupons for $1 off, plus if you buy $20 of Neutrogena products, you can get a $10 Walgreens gift card as a rebate. The coupon and rebate offer are in their Easy Saver catalog that you pick up in the store.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03