PDA

View Full Version : Anything similar to the Bumbo?

SneezeDragon
05-15-2004, 02:50 PM
Does anyone know of a baby seat available in the US that's similar to the Bumbo Baby Sitter, only not as expensive?

DS is 4 months old and desperate to sit up right now, although he doesn't have the control to stay up. The Bumbo looks perfect for him, but I can't find it, shipping added, for any less than $50. (This includes eBay. Shipping from the UK is pricey!)

Any suggestions welcome! Thanks. :)

sadie427
05-17-2004, 04:29 PM
This sounds weird, but at that age we were visiting my parents for a week or so and didn't have a bouncy seat. My mom had bought a small bathtub--I think it's the first year's infant to toddler tub. Somehow we figured out he loved to "sit" in that tub (with no water in it) while we were all in the kitchen or whereever socializing. It would calm him right down, he would start smiling as soon as we put him in there. It's actually on a slight recline, but it gave him a good view. You could also try propping him up w/ a boppy, although at that age Sammy prefered the tub because he was at a more upright angle. It's probably just a few weeks before he can sit up pretty well propped by a boppy or plain old pillows, so I wouldn't spend much money.

lmariana
05-17-2004, 04:49 PM
I found a Bumbo for $39.99 and a total price with shipping of $48.03, if you're interested...

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/shophsg2/bumbabsit.html

I actually ordered one myself out of curiosity! I thought it might be a nice makeshift highchair while on vacations...

Mariana
www.heinzandmariana.com
Mother of Gabriel, 08/14/2003

rrosen
05-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Have you tried using a boppy to help ds sit? We used ours when dd was at that stage and it worked very well.

HTH

SneezeDragon
05-18-2004, 04:28 PM
Thank you so much for all of your suggestions! I've tried using our Boppy to support him, but DS still tumbles onto his face. He's a very wiggly kid now that he's figured out he can roll over. We actually have the First Years 4-way tub, and unfortunately, DS outgrew it at about 3 months. :( (It started tipping over backward whenever we tried to bathe him. Make that, A BIG, wiggly kid! LOL)

I finally broke down and got the Bumbo from ShopHSG for $44 total. (Thanks, Mariana!) Hopefully DH, king of finances, won't gripe too much if it works out really well for our chubby little wiggle-worm.

Thanks to all,
Sneeze

Anna202
05-21-2004, 01:51 PM
I just bought it for $37.45 new including shipping. If you go to http://www.bonnybabies.com/bumbobabysitter.htm , add item to your shopping card (the price is $44.95 + shipping) and use discount code 1060425 at a checkout it will give you $15.00 off entire purchase. Good luck!

AvasMama
05-21-2004, 08:47 PM
I saw this and tried to order from this site with the code. They called to tell me they can't honor the code on this product :(

Robyn & Ava (1-15-04)

BabyBoo
05-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Is there any other good deals for this right now? I haven't tried looking myself yet, but thought you mommies may have a heads up :) I just bought a shopping cart cover (even though we don't need it yet) so I'm trying to save a few bucks here.......

TIA

BabyBoo
05-22-2004, 01:45 AM
Hi again,

I checked the site recommended and it's $49.99 not $39.99 :((. Is there anywhere that I can see IRL? Has the price just gone up?! I'm really interested in this product so any other shopping info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Anna202
05-22-2004, 01:47 PM
It's 39.99 at http://www.bumbobabysitter.com/ + shipping.

BabyBoo
05-23-2004, 12:59 AM
Hi, I clicked on your link and then to Links....the U.S. one and it has the seat for $49.99.........am I doing something wrong??

TIA

darby24
05-23-2004, 03:06 PM
I remember seeing this on UK sites last year and you've reminded me at a perfect time. I was looking for something to set my nephew in besides the bouncer and exersaucer (though he can't use the bumbo or exersaucer until he can hold his head and is around 3 - 4+ months.)

So does anyone have this already? Can you give us your opinion please.

I can find it for $68 CDN shipped (from Canada), so that's not too bad. Though I'm sticking here to see what other people find. Found it here for Canadians: http://tinyurl.com/yt5q6

I did find a link through the Canadian site to a place in Texas. It's $39.99 with $12.50 shipping, total $52.45 (all US funds). Not exactly a deal, but I've passed it on anyway. http://tinyurl.com/2ap7n

Edit to clarify

Momof3Labs
05-23-2004, 03:36 PM
I can't believe that this seat offers enough support for a two month old baby - it looks like the baby needs to have enough trunk and neck strength before it would be helpful/comfortable, and that usually happens around 4 months of age or so (the same age when an exersaucer can be used - which I would choose over this any day).

Momof3Labs
05-23-2004, 03:38 PM
I would suggest an exersaucer or even a walker over this for a 4 month old baby. In a saucer, they are standing rather than sitting, but a saucer has a much longer life and doesn't seem as overpriced to me as this gadget. Plus they can actually be entertained by toys in the saucer - in this thing, there is no place for baby to have a toy.

We started to use our saucer at around 15-16 weeks of age (with a towel tucked in for extra support).

darby24
05-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Sorry, let me clear it up. We would NOT be using this seat at this time. I've re-read my post and wasn't clear on this issue. I would never put my nephew in the seat at his current age. He can't hold his head yet, and so it's plainly not safe at this time.

We are thinking ahead to 4 or so months of age. My sister has an exersaucer in the garage and will bring it out when nephew S. is ready (she'll probably forget about it until he's 7 months old like she did with her first!) We liked the fact that this product was small and portable, unlike the exersaucer. We're not jumping at the bit to purchase this, but are interested.

I just wanted to see what real experience people had. If any.

ETA - I'm sorry, I feel I came off a little harsh the first time. I didn't mean to and I apologize.

californiagirl
05-24-2004, 03:16 PM
Here's a thread from mumsnet where people are talking about it (they're much more common in Britain):

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk?topicid=1012&threadid=10480&stamp=040524141104

It won't replace something like an exersaucer, but if you have a baby like mine who wants to be a) sitting and b) with the big people, it looks like a great deal. I hold her in my lap, but she leans over and ggnaws on my arm if I'm not careful, and since she gave me a giant hickey that way I'm less enthusiastic. Sometimes she'll go for being somewhere else with toys, but sometimes she just wants to sit with me.
At 3 months, she has fantastic neck control, and a desperate desire to sit up, but it'll be a good long time before she can actually sit by herself. We don't have our Bumbo yet, but I'm praying she loves it.

stillplayswithbarbies
05-24-2004, 05:21 PM
I saw this in the OSA catalog and thought of this thread. This is similar to the Bumbo, yes?

http://www.onestepahead.com/product/27191/150789/117.html

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

SneezeDragon
05-26-2004, 01:27 PM
>Hi, I clicked on your link and then to Links....the U.S. one
>and it has the seat for $49.99.........am I doing something
>wrong??

The price at ShopHSG was 39.99 a few weeks ago. Looks like they kicked the price up. Mind you, I don't know that I'd recommend them, anyway, because they supposedly shipped mine Priority Mail a week ago, and it still hasn't arrived. Not so sure it should take a week for something to get from Florida to Ohio. x(

SneezeDragon
05-26-2004, 01:29 PM
>I saw this and tried to order from this site with the code.
>They called to tell me they can't honor the code on this
>product :(

Any reason as to why this particular product is exempt from savings codes?

californiagirl
05-26-2004, 02:11 PM
I ordered on Friday, with the code, and I've gotten a confirmation (looks automatic) and no call. No Bumbo yet, so who knows...

californiagirl
06-01-2004, 02:34 AM
Hmmph. A week after I ordered it I got back mail saying she couldn't honor the coupon and offering to refund my money minus a 10% restocking fee or send me a check for the whole. A 10% restocking fee? For what? I told her I would have been interested in buying it from her without the code if she'd made a reasonable offer, but if she was going to try to charge me a 10% restocking fee when she was the one unwilling to honor the agreement under which she'd charged my card, I didn't want to do business with her, and I'd take the check. I can understand not honoring the coupon, but not a fee.

californiagirl
06-02-2004, 11:42 AM
As I go for the record in replying to my own posts: She refunded my money entirely by credit card (not check) and clearly wants things to be right. That code is only supposed to work for one item, and she's been horribly let down by the shopping cart software. She still has the best price you can get, even without the code.

BabyBoo
06-03-2004, 01:18 AM
Hi, thanks for all your updates. I haven't had time to lurk lately.....Too bad about the drama you've had with ordering one.