PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else cry when they watch the end of Signing Times?

ChicagoMama
05-20-2004, 04:37 PM
So my new and wonderful BBB friend Chrissy (heytootsy) lent me her copy of Signing Times volume 1. I love it - we've used the Parents magazine flash cards to learn signs to teach Shelby, but we've never worked with a video. We all really like it. But when she sings that song at the end, "Show me a sign" -- it makes me all choked up and teary eyed. I just love the words. Anyway, wondering if that happens to you, too....
Becky

Mama to DDs Shelby 09/19/02 and Sydney 10/16/03

kelly ann
05-20-2004, 05:23 PM
We just bought the DVDs about a month ago and only have watched the first 2. However, I got teary-eyed when reading one of the inserts to the DVDs. I even ran upstairs to tell DH about their two girls and why they did the series.

I do love that "Show me a sign" song...I am an American Idol addict and after hearing this song I thought it would be so cool if we had a contestant that could sign songs. That is probably cheesy, but after seeing the signing times woman sing/sign this song I think it is so beautiful.

smomom
05-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Ok, I'll fess up. The "Show Me a Sign" song makes me a little teary, but "The Good" makes me bawl.

When did I become such a sap????

lisams
05-20-2004, 05:40 PM
Oh I love both of those songs!!! I think the pictures are what do it for me!!!!

Get the CD, it's AWESOME!!!!

supercalifragilous
05-20-2004, 06:09 PM
Where did you get Signing Times? I remember there being a co-op way back when but I think there was a SAHM who had her own website matching the co-op price. Does anyone remember?

713abc
05-20-2004, 06:10 PM
I almost posted about "The Good" recently...I really get choked up everytime I hear that song (last song on the Signing Time cd). I play it just for myself in the car (usually a few times in a row)!!

rrosen
05-20-2004, 06:14 PM
I am so happy someone posted this. I cry every time I hear both of those songs!

Can I ask you all who are using these DVD's how long it took your children to start signing? How old were they when you started teaching and how old when they used their first sign?

Thanks,

Karenn
05-20-2004, 06:52 PM
"The Good" gets me everytime too!

houseof3boys
05-20-2004, 07:25 PM
I used to cry everytime the video started! I thought I was just highly hormonal but it took me a good two months to stop getting teary. Oh, the joys of being so happy to be a mommy. :)

stillplayswithbarbies
05-20-2004, 08:13 PM
we started watching the first DVD when Logan was 6 months old. After watching it 3 times, she started to mimic the "milk" sign. We did a lot of reinforcement and she soon learned to associate it with nursing.

About 2 months later, she picked up "more". Another 2 or 3 months and she had "eat" and "water". There were others along the way that she would mimic, but those are the 3 that she uses in context. Now that she get the concept, learning new signs is just a matter of dexterity. She tries to do "apple" and "cracker" now.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

egoldber
05-20-2004, 08:13 PM
LOL! I cry every time I hear it too. It is so touching. OK, how sad is this, I'm tearing up just thinking about the blasted song! :)

cchavez
05-20-2004, 08:38 PM
It makes me cry too! I wish I could hear "The Good." where can i get the cd? TIA!

jec2
05-20-2004, 08:46 PM
Glad I'm not the only one :)

Mom2Miri
05-20-2004, 09:36 PM
We started watching at about 9 months and she was signing by ~11months. Today at 15 months she knows just about every sign in all 3 videos - ~60-70 signs. Now she doesn't necessarily understand every word she is signing in the videos but she surprises me all the time. Plus her little hands and fingers can't always reproduce the exact sign so I have to watch the video with her to see her version of the signs. Then often it is guesswork and context for me to understand what she is signing. But she definitely communicates using her signs.

HTH,
Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

jubilee
05-21-2004, 05:23 AM
I've seen some on Ebay, but I haven't used this seller before. http://stores.ebay.com/Geenogee_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQdptZ8QQsclZallQQsoti medisplayZ2QQtZkm

gour0
05-22-2004, 12:35 PM
http://mommysthinkin.com/baby_sign_language_signing_time.htm

gour0
05-22-2004, 12:38 PM
She sells them at Signingtime.com for 13.99

murpheyblue2
05-22-2004, 04:50 PM
I love "The Good"!! I also love the Goodnight Baby song. It's my favorite lullabye.

Ali
Mom to Megan 9-28-03

jamsmu
05-24-2004, 10:39 AM
We've only watched #1 so far... I'm holding off on 2 and 3 until some progress with #1 occurs.

DS isn't signing yet, but he is starting to notice that his fingers move more than just for grabbing things.

The best part about him watching is that he said "car" the other day. We were watching and they were just starting the "car" part. The kids said car about 3 times, then DS suddenly said "car." Now everytime we say car, he says car, too! We are so excited!! So I look at the videos not just for teaching signs, but also sounds. (now, I just have to show him what he's saying so he gets the association--but we have time.) :)

Dcclerk
05-24-2004, 12:20 PM
I'm with you at tearing up. Both tracks 10 (Show Me a Sign) and 11 (The Good) get me. DS is much more interested in the CD than watching the DVDs right now and those 2 get more play time than the others. Has anyone else noticed that the other songs get stuck in your head and you can't get them out? Within one time of listening to the theme song, I was singing it for the next couple of days!