PDA

View Full Version : IKEA Highchairs

annietete
05-21-2004, 06:07 PM
I hate to be shallow, but I am looking for an attractive highchair to fit in a small space. I'm interested in the wooden Eddie Bauer chair. People seem to have good things to say about it. I love IKEA and noticed several highchairs in the catalog. The wooden (Blames) highchair is so simple. A plastic tray is available for $10 (not dishwasher safe though). Being that my son is my first and only 4 months old, I have no experience in picking out a practical chair. I'm wondering if I should just stick with the Eddie Bauer. Does anyone have experience with this highchair or have an opinion? I have attached pictures of the chair and tray. Thanks :)

kaitlinsmommy
05-22-2004, 01:29 AM
I went the more practical route & got dd the FP Deluxe HC highchair but if your heart is set on a wood one, the IKEA one looks nice. I don't know when you intend to start using it but I would make sure it has a good strap to keep him in. And I don't know how well he can sit up yet but he may be a little young to sit well in a chair that doesn't recline. I hope you receive some posts from people who are familiar with this chair or other wood ones. Oh - and I would definitely get a tray if it doesn't come with one. Even if he only eats "at the table" it will be very messy for awhile. JMO. Good luck!

emilyf
05-22-2004, 03:09 PM
We have the Ikea one you posted and I like it. We initially skipped the high chair altogether, and just used a hook on seat on our kitchen counter. A month or so ago I decided I wanted a high chair for when we eat outside or in the dining room and I don't feel like moving the hook-on. I got it b/c it was cheap and I like the way it looks. So far, it has been fine-ds is 18 mos though so not sure how it would be with a very young baby (you can also buy a cushion or a non-slip pad at Ikea, I saw them but don't have either). We don't have the tray. It is a sturdy chair and wasn't too hard to put together. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

kijip
05-22-2004, 04:00 PM
I think the IKEA chair is fine for older babies who can sit very well. We were not able to use our wooden highchair until our son was about 5-6 months old. Before that it was uncomfortable. Even now at 11 months, the Fisher Price Healthy Care is our favorite since it has a 5 point harness (he tries to climb out of the one with a 3 point harness) and since the tray inserts are easy to wash.

bethwl
05-23-2004, 10:56 PM
We have a wooden high chair (Svan chair with infant seat kit) and like other posters said, it will not work for a 4-month-old. We did not feed our daughter solid foods until she was about 7.5 months, though, so that didn't matter. If you are planning on feeding your baby solids soon, this might be an issue. But if not, I say go for the IKEA chair with the tray, I think it looks cool.

Beth
dd Annika 8.9.03