PDA

View Full Version : pack n play- canopy and vibrating bassinet necessary features?

first_timer
05-22-2004, 09:50 PM
We were trying to figure out which pack n play to register for today and couldn't decide between two models. They're both Graco Pack N Play. One is Sweet Dreams Deluxe in Clarion which is $129. The other is the Spectator which is $89. The differences between the 2 are that the Deluxe has a canopy (which is too small, IMO) and the bassinet vibrates, the other is the same structure, just without these 2 features.
Does anyone have experience with either of these? Are the canopy and vibration worth the extra $40? Also, we like the color/print of the Spectator better.
Thank you!

Momof3Labs
05-22-2004, 10:00 PM
I didn't have either of those features and didn't miss them for a second!

toomanystrollers
05-22-2004, 10:15 PM
ITA w/Lori - get the basic model and a vibrating bouncey seat instead :)

kaitlinsmommy
05-22-2004, 10:17 PM
ITA with Lori. DD never liked the vibration on the bouncer so I'm sure we didn't need that. We did have the canopy and liked it but I don't think it's necessary. Ours also had a changing station that we never used.

caleymama
05-22-2004, 10:35 PM
Just agreeing with everyone else. We didn't have either feature you mentioned and we didn't miss them.

HallsofVA
05-22-2004, 11:09 PM
Our pack n play has a 3/4 bassinet, and a changing table, but no canopy or vibration feature. Honestly, I don't plan on taking the pack and play outdoors, thus I didn't see the need for the canopy. And, both our other bassinet and bouncy seat have vibration features which my son couldn't stand, so I've never used them for more than a few seconds.

I'd skip those features, particularly the vibration feature, unless you're really set on it.

westchicagomom
05-23-2004, 12:34 AM
I think we have the Sweet Dreams in Clarion.

We maybe used the canopy once or twice to shield her from the dining room light while she was sleeping.

On the other hand, we used the vibration feature often in those first few months, and I would recommend that. Sometimes that was the only place DD would go to sleep and I liked the fact that it was not a bouncy seat so we could actually leave her in it unsupervised for awhile.

It was a complete lifesaver too because our daughter developed jaundice as we were leaving the hospital and they sent us home w/ a billibed (she laid on this contraption that had the lights built in). We tried it on the kitchen table as we sat next to her and she cried and cried. DH got the idea to put it in the pack and play and turn on the vibration feature and sure enough that put her to sleep. It was truly mortifying having to stick my 5 day old in that contraption, especially when she was crying and I couldn't hold her. I was sobbing (hormones came into play too)the whole time she was in there and the fact that the vibration feature could put her to sleep made me feel a lot better. We were supposed to keep her in that bed all the time. We didn't, but we kept her in a lot longer then we would have otherwise because she could sleep in it.

The chance you will need it for such a reason is probably remote - but when you can't get a newborn to sleep, the more options you have to try, the better. I think it's worth the money (esp. if someone else pays for it!)

votre_ami03
05-24-2004, 12:03 PM
I have this P & P & I loved the extra features! I was very sad when Nolan outgrew the bassinet & could no longer use the vibration. Nolan slept in the bassinet for the 1st 4 mos. I wanted him in my room & he would not sleep in his cradle. I actually used the bassinet & vibration thing longer than we should of, Nolan outgrew it at about 3 mos. At night if he fussed I just turned on the vibration & the music. I loved having the full bassinet too, he was a long baby.

I actually used the night light & the lullaby thing too. :)

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

jacksmomtobe
05-25-2004, 02:05 PM
I have the pack n play with all these features. The canopy doesn't add that much value in my opinion and my ds as of yet isn't that fond of the vibration though I don't try to use it that often. However the pack n play is the best $130 I have spent. We are using it as ds's bed until we move into a new home and then it will be used on another floor. I think it is the best invention.

Good Luck!
Kim
Mom to Jack born 3/26/04

Sarah1
05-28-2004, 11:25 PM
We have two PNPs: the Sweet Dreams and a 3-Way (both by Graco). I have to tell you, I ***love*** the Sweet Dreams. The vibrating bassinet and the canopy were never that useful for us, but what our DD LOVED was the music that plays on it. You can set it to play and then it goes off automatically. This is our PNP that we travel with, and she seems to really find the music soothing!

Also, it seems a lot more sturdy than the other PNP we have--the mattress fits in really snugly and securely to the bottom, more so than the other one. Honestly, I think it's over all just a higher quality model, and she's always very comfortable sleeping in it. Think long term; when your baby is a toddler you will still be using a PNP...I say go for the higher quality one.