PDA

View Full Version : Question about wooden toys

cuca_
05-24-2004, 07:44 PM
I love those wooden puzzles with the picture underneath, as well as wooden blocks. I often see them at Marshalls and TJ Maxx, (I believe most of the ones I've seen are Melissa & Doug) however most of these wooden toys say that they are apporpriate for ages 2+. I know several of you have posted about these toys before. DD is turning 1. Do you purchase these for younger kids (younger than 2, that is) or do you get them later when they are within the recommended age ranges?

TIA

Carmen

Momof3Labs
05-24-2004, 09:48 PM
Age recommendations under 3 years are usually developmentally related. When you see 3 and over, that is a safety-related age recommendation (choking hazards). We got some of the Melissa & Doug puzzles when Colin was around a year old, but it was a good 5 months before he would do anything except dump them all over the floor (well, and chew on the pieces).

You can get good deals at Marshall's, though, on the puzzles, so they are worth buying and putting away when you see one that you like.

stillplayswithbarbies
05-24-2004, 10:14 PM
I don't like the Melissa and Doug puzzles and toys because they are not painted, they have a sticker over the wood. I think that is why they are marked for older babies, because if a younger baby chews on it, the sticker comes off and peels.

I much prefer the Plan Toys brand, they are painted and stand up to chewing.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

egoldber
05-24-2004, 10:26 PM
We have a number of Melissa&Doug wooden toys, and we have been pleased with all of them. That is to say, DD aenjoys them all, LOL! :) I usually do abide by the age recommendations, or at least pretty close. My DD doesn't really chew on toys the way Karen describes, so we have not had that problem.

HTH,

lisams
05-25-2004, 02:35 AM
DD is 18 months and has been playing with puzzles, blocks, and a few other ones now for a few months. The paint is non-toxic so I dpn't worry too much about it, and we're past the chew on everything stage.

HTH!
Lisa

pritchettzoo
05-25-2004, 11:26 AM
Where have you found these? I don't recall seeing the name before; maybe I never looked?...

Thanks!

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

cuca_
05-25-2004, 11:34 AM
Thanks for all the tips and recommendations. I think most of the puzzles I liked were for 3 and over, but maybe I will go with Lori's recommendations and buy a few for when DD is over.

Carmen

stillplayswithbarbies
05-25-2004, 12:19 PM
It's also called Brio. I got a puzzle at Kidsurplus.com but I don't see it there now.

I was very impressed with the quality compared to Melissa and Doug, and since Logan chews on the corner of the puzzle pieces I had to take away all of the Melissa and Doug things until she is older.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03