PDA

View Full Version : Humidifiers: Sunbeam Ultrasonic cool mist & Vicks warm mist

tny915
05-25-2004, 12:48 PM
My dd is sick so over the weekend I bought a Sunbeam ultrasonic cool mist humidifier. I hate it. Let it run all night long and in the morning the machine, the stool it was on, and the floor around it were drenched.

So yesterday I bought a Vicks warm mist humidifier. No problems with extra moisture and dd slept well last night, but I don't know whether it's because of the humidifier. I had it set to high and put it near her crib but didn't notice any big difference in the air so I don't know if it's really making a difference.

Anyone with either of these machines have comments on them?
Also where do you get something inexpensive that can measure the level of humidity in the room?

Terri
Alyssa 11/19/03

supercalifragilous
05-25-2004, 01:32 PM
We bought a Robitussion cool mist humidifier at Costco. It wasn't overtly expensive, I think it was around $30. The only thing is that it's fairly big. It's also fairly easy to maintain and we do have to buy the inner "spongy" core (that stays wet) but the box came with 3, so it should last us 3 seasons.

The thing I love about it is that it has a humidity control so once it reaches a certain humidity level you just turn down the dial and it will shut off automatically.

Our pediatrician told us not to get a warm mist humidifier since it encourages mold growth, but I've read other people using one with no problems.

The only thing I don't like about it is that the water container is really huge and it's nice that you don't have to fill it up but once a week (since it shuts off automatically instead of contantly running) but it makes a sound once in a while - it's that bubble sound the office water cooler makes when you fill up a glass of water and the bubbles rise to the top. When it's dead quiet, this can be a little startling when it happens out of the blue. I suppose I could wrap some towels to "cushion" or soften the sound but it hasn't bothered the baby.