PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for indoor activity centers for a 15 mo boy?

Milanns
05-29-2004, 12:18 PM
I know this sounds strange with summer coming up, but we live in FL and it gets SO hot and buggy some days. During the heat of the day when we aren't going anywhere I would love to have some place for my very active 15 mo son to play. I've seen great reviews here for the Little tikes activity garden but wonder if that has enough "action" for him. I was also checking out the pottery barn clubhouse slide (though don't know where I'll find one) . . . ebay maybe? Anyone have any suggestions?

Ann

Momof3Labs
05-29-2004, 09:03 PM
We have the LT activity garden, and Colin gets bored with it pretty quickly. I would suggest one of the sets with a climbing area/ladder and a slide, though even that is boring Colin a bit now that he's discovered "big kid" slides at the park!

August Mom
05-30-2004, 04:52 PM
If your DS is very active, I would guess that the LT Activity Garden won't hold his interest for long. We have it and have never been that excited about it. DS likes the mailbox and likes to throw the vegetables from the garden. As he's gotten older, he has begun climbing on the wall of the garden, which really isn't safe. However, he also is somewhat bored with the smaller climbers and would prefer going to the park to use the big equipment. But, I would think a climber of some sort would be better than the Activity Garden. One other thought is a tent, preferably with openings. DS loves these. He likes to sit inside and throw balls and things out the openings. Then he comes out, gathers the items up and starts over again. The PBK climber is probably prohibitively expensive, but I haven't seen if it's listed on ebay. The shipping was very expensive as I recall.

Momof3Labs
05-30-2004, 09:02 PM
Ah, yes, Playhut tents and tunnels - good suggestion! Colin loves his Playhut ball pit (we just don't keep it out all the time 'cause the balls drive ME crazy)!

Milanns
05-31-2004, 01:11 PM
Oooh, great idea about the playhut/tent. I never thought of that. We have a large slide from Sam's that my Father in law bought. But it is outside and also very large. DS will climb the stairs by himself (with DH or me behind him in case he misses a step or slips), and likes to throw golf balls out, but again way to hot and mosquito ridden during the summer! Maybe I can re create this inside with one of the small climbers.

Thanks for the ideas . . .

August Mom
05-31-2004, 08:46 PM
I believe the Kangaroo Climber and Wave Climber have circular holes which would be good for ball throwing. (The Kangaroo Climber is very small, though).

kijip
06-03-2004, 01:41 AM
As a former nanny and preschool teacher, the only indoor toy that I have seen be of continued interest to the under 3 set is those little kitchen sets and the playtents. The indoor playgrounds lose appeal when compared to the real deal at the park.