PDA

View Full Version : Thermometers

rrosen
05-29-2004, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure if this fits in this forum or not... I have been using a digital thermometor (from the hospital) to take DD's temp rectally. I know my Ped. told me to do this when she was a newborn. She is almost 9 months now. Can I use one of those ear ones yet? If so, is there one that is better than another?

Advice?

Thanks,

newmomto1
05-29-2004, 10:19 PM
My DS is only 3mos old...I do rectal temps. I will probably continue to take temps this way until he's old enough to do it orally. In my experience....taking temp with an ear thermometer is not accurate AT ALL. I am a nurse...my experience is with adults...in my work I found that the ear themometers could give you different readings everytime you take the patient's temp, even if it was a few times in a row. Rectal is the most accurate, oral is next after that, then axillary (under the arm).
I purchased a great rectal thermometer by Safety 1st at BRU...the end is really short..so it's comfortable for the baby & there's no threat of injury.
HTH :-)

em_jon98
05-29-2004, 11:10 PM
My ped told me that the ear thermotmers frequently are not accurate because most people cannot get it pointed to the proper part of the ear on a consistent basis.

We did purchase one when the battery in our regular digital died, and I have not been happy with it. I find that it is only really useful for giving a general idea of temps, i.e.: confirming that DD has a fever, but not giving me an accurate result of what her temp really is. Plus, as much as she doesn't like having a rectal temp taken, she REALLY doesn't like the ear thermotomer at all. DD fights me to get it in her ear and keep it there the few seconds until it beeps.

shindagrl
05-30-2004, 12:50 AM
The way the ear thermometers work is by shooting a beam of infrared light, and it has to be able to bounce off of the typmanic membrane (ear drum). The structure of a baby's ear (and many, many adults) does not make this an accurate way to take a temperature. In fact, the ICU at my hospital uses either oral or axillary temps for all patients, and doesn't even have the ear thermometers around anymore. When I worked in the ER, we didn't use the ear on kids younger than 18 months. We've registered for one, but only for quickie checks...the digital is the one I'll rely on.

At 9 months, I wouldn't bother using it at all. If you're just screening for a fever, you could use a digital thermometer to take your baby's temp under the arm (add a degree to equal oral), and if you know you've got one, take it rectally (subtract a degree to equal oral).

HTH.

pritchettzoo
05-30-2004, 01:02 AM
We just got this temporal artery thermometer from Costco:
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6941.jpg

Supposedly it's very accurate, and DH enjoys playing with it. He was psychotic about DD having a fever (never has, but she has a REALLY hot, sweaty head), and it sure beats the rectal route! :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

JElaineB
05-31-2004, 09:36 AM
I have the Temporal Artery Scanner and have been using it on the whole family since DS was born. I really, really like it. It is very accurate and extremely easy to use. I highly recommend it.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

rrosen
05-31-2004, 12:09 PM
Thanks Jennifer and Anna!
I am going to get one today.

Jennamax
05-31-2004, 05:45 PM
I have both a rectal thermometer from Safety 1st, and an ear thermometer. The few times I've used the ear thermometer, it was very inconsistent. I'd take DS' temp 3 or 4 times with it, and it would be different each time (within a matter of seconds). I'm using the rectal thermometer until he's a bit older, and the ear therm. a bit more reliable!