PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen- not sure if this post belongs here- sorry

Alex1276
06-01-2004, 08:00 AM
What types of sunscreens are you using? I have Waterbabies for my 7 month old, but I just read about the different types of sunscreen available and would like to try something else.
Thanks for you help!
Alex
Mommy to Philip

amp
06-01-2004, 08:29 AM
We have Banana Boat Kids and Water Babies. Just look in the drugstore aisle and you will see a variety. The major recommendation is to make sure it has a high SPF, like 30, and do not use sunscreen w/ bug repellent. The reasoning is that sunscreen needs to be reapplied regularly throughout the day, but bug repellent should not be and it would be unsafe to do so.

momma_boo
06-01-2004, 11:19 AM
I've been using the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin sunblock (spf 30, I think). For some odd reason, the Waterbabies and Banana Boat one irritated her skin, so the ped suggested using Neutrogena.

lfp2n
06-01-2004, 12:28 PM
I just about ruined my memorial day with a sunscreen problem. I have the Waterbabies 45 which I put on DD on Saturday no problems and she was out in the sun for quite a long time and it was completely effective. Yesterday I put some around the sides of her face and for some reason she didn't like it. The more she cried, the more she rubbed her face and eyes and rubbed the stuff into her eyes, she became hysterical for about 30 minutes, I felt awful, her eyes were bright red and we were trying to wash them and wash her hands to get rid of the stuff.
On the bottle it says don't get in eyes, and I can see why it was obviously pretty painful, but how to avoid this with a toddler I don't know, and its very sunny in VA so she's got to wear something.

Lucy (DD 3/03)

marinkitty
06-01-2004, 12:58 PM
We use the Neutrogena Sensitive Skin spf 30 and the California Baby spf 30. DD has really sensitive skin and even the Neutrogena bothers her face if I reapply or she gets really hot while wearing it (I usually do not put lotion there - just a huge hat) but last year we tried Water Babies and she had a bad rash for a week.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

kaitlinsmommy
06-01-2004, 06:07 PM
We use Baby Magic. I like that it has instant protection so you don't need to apply it 15 min. before you go outside.

tippy
06-02-2004, 02:13 AM
I just bought the new instant sun screen by banana boat. No waiting for it to work! It is a barier cream with titanium dioxide not a chemical blocker. I am attaching a link to an article in baby the baby center bulletin that had some interesting info on this topic.
http://www.babycenter.com/expert/toddler/toddlersafety/12505.html

kaitlinsmommy
06-02-2004, 10:45 AM
I think Baby Magic is the Banana Boat one but it's in my car so I can't say for sure.

momma_boo
06-02-2004, 11:18 AM
Actually, the Neutrogena sensitive skin one has titanium dixode.

And yes, the Baby Magic one is the Banana Boat one.

Melanie
06-06-2004, 04:26 PM
Aubrey Organics Green Tea Sunblock for Children. I will admit to being uneducated about the chemicals in sunscreens and just buying this one b/c someone recommended it and it was sold at the HFS. It contains:

ACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Titanium Dioxide and Padimate O (PABA Ester).

INACTIVE INGREDIENTS: Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Jojoba Butter, Organic Jojoba Oil, ORganic Sunflower Oil, White Camellia Oil, Organic Shea Butter, Organic Aloe Vera, Lecithin, Canadian Willowherb Extract, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E), Organic Green Tea Powder (Matcha), Organic Blue Camomile Oil, Jasmine Oil.

I remember when I was a kid, everyone was wanting PABA-free Sunscreen...does anyone know anything about that?

jec2
06-06-2004, 08:04 PM
The Fields posted a few months back about Dura-screen. I had our local pharmacy order some for me and it came the next day.

I also have California Babies and use both on and off.

sc
06-10-2004, 01:48 AM
I found the Durascreen online at $7.21 each + $5.95 shipping, is this a good price? (I'm planning to buy 6)

Is Durascreen safe for babies? Which is better(SPF15 or SPF30) for babies & toddlers?

TIA!

Susan