PDA

View Full Version : High Chairs: Prima Pappa vs. Baby Trend?

KBecks
06-04-2004, 02:49 PM
I'm feeling a little high chair guilt. We registered for the Prima Pappa Martinelli high chair, which costs - yikes - $200.

Now, only my MIL is generous enough to purchase that chair (she did buy a PP, Pliko stroller, and Perego carseat for my SIL when she was expecting almost 3 years ago - that's generous!). I'm feeling that while the PP is a beautiful chair, I could certainly do just as well with something less pricey.

(We did look at the other PPs that were less money and less attractive, but if I'm getting an expensive high chair, it may as well look nice!)

I looked at the FP Healthy Care and didn't like it. Didn't like the vinyl seat, didnt' like the recline, didnt' like the way the tray worked, etc. I'll give it one more look at Target, just in case it was a temporary dislike.

So, I'm wondering if the Baby Trend might be a viable alternative, as it would save $100, and I'd have a much easier feeling knowing we didnt' blow $200 on a high chair.

Any thoughts on the Baby Trend, adn any details on how it compares to the Prima Pappa?

Thanks so much,
KBecks

mharling
06-05-2004, 12:40 AM
We have a Baby Trend and love it! I can't speak to it in relation to the Prima Pappa though. I know there are some here who looked at both, decided on the Baby Trend and are very happy.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
[link:www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b370a2992536|Birthday Pics!!]

JenB
06-05-2004, 04:39 PM
I don't know about the Baby Trend high chair but I love my Fisher Price one!! I looked at the PP chair and it is great...but $200??? I got the one that Baby Bargains suggested. It reclines, adjusts higher and lower and also folds. It has a removable liner in the tray. You can use the high chair without the tray because the little leg divider thing is on the seat. It is easy to clean and looks good. I stareted using it w/my 4mo. old...now he is 6 mo.

Good luck! JenB

Momof3Labs
06-05-2004, 09:55 PM
I have a Prima Pappa and feel that it was a huge waste of money - there are chairs that are just as nice with more features for half the price. Colin is very tall, and the tray was always too high for him (he boycotted the high chair at 15 months old, thank goodness). And it was so hard to clean - too many little crevices for food to get stuck in. I got a fabric seat option but quickly exchanged it for vinyl - much easier to keep clean.

gisele
06-06-2004, 02:02 AM
We have the PP in tan leatherette and my son really likes it. He has been using it since he was 4 months old, he is now 13 months. I don't have a problem keeping it clean. My chair was $179 but I also had a $50 gift certificate. We use this chair 3-4 times a day every day. It folds up nicely; we've even brought it to other people's houses when they've had us over for dinner. It rolls very well on our floor. Considering the use it gets from us, it was worth the money.

My cousin has the Martinelli chair and she likes it too.

FWIW, like you, I also didn't like the FP chair for many of the same reasons you gave - I especially didn't like the recline.

riostoker
06-06-2004, 07:31 AM
I have the Baby Trend from 2 years ago. I chose it because it seemed to have a lot of the same features as the PP and the Chico, but like you said - half the price! We've been perfectly happy with it. It is easy to use and adjust, easy to fold. Cleaning isn't too bad because I just throw the seat cushion part in the washing machine. Most people I know begin to hate their high chairs at some point, so I don't think it is a product where you should really bother with top of the line. It isn't like a stroller that you really get your money out of. High chairs are big, bulky, take up a lot of space in the kitchen and are messy and hard to clean (simply because of the nature of solid feedings!). At age one or so, you'll start wanting your child sitting at the table with you, so you'll switch to a booster seat anyway.

Oh... if the Baby Trend still has the leg divider on the seat instead of the tray, I love that feature. You can put a squirmy kid in there and feel like he is less likely to wriggle out while you're strapping him in. Also, when the tray is a big mess and you don't have time to clean it right away, it fits a lot easier in the sink without that huge leg divider on it.

ann

KBecks
06-06-2004, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the reply, I looked at the FP and Baby Trend side by side, and liked the Baby Trend better. The only thing I don't like is the tray, which is the same as the Fisher Price.

The PP tray has these pegs, which seems to be easier to see, but I think I could get used to the Baby Trend tray.

KBecks