PDA

View Full Version : Review (and pic) of Kettler Jr. high chair (bought from Debbie)

riostoker
06-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Debbie asked that I post a review of the high chair I bought during the "event". :)

We bought the Junior chair which is very similar in style/function to the very popular (and expensive) Kinderzeat. We've been using it for several days now, and I love it! Here is a link to info about it:

http://www.barebabies.com/juwohichfrke.html

I will make a few comparisons to Kinderzeat but I have to make the disclaimer that I have seen a Kinderzeat IRL, but I've never used one personally.

Here are the details, in no particular order:
* My DD LOVES it! She loves that she can easily climb in and out. She loves that she can pull all the way up to the table now instead of sitting far away because her booster seat was too tall. She looks so comfortable with her feet resting on the foot rest.
* The wood is very, very pretty. The chair itself is not quite as stylish looking as the Kinderzeat since the Kettler has the black plastic parts, but for the price, I didn't care. It also only comes in this one color.
* I like that it has a removeable bar around the waist and a strap for between the legs. We aren't using that with my 2.5 y.o. because we want her to be able to climb in and out by herself. That would be useful with a younger baby though. The Kinderzeat doesn't offer this feature, as far as I know.
* The seat and foot platforms were easy to adjust.
* The black plastic parts are a sort of textured matte plastic, so they aren't shiny and cheap looking.
* DH was afraid that the plastic foot things would scratch our hardwood floors, but that was easily solved with some felt pads.
* It seems very sturdy, and I have no fears of it tipping over. I know some people have said they felt like the One Step Ahead chair which is similar to the Kinderzeat seems tippy.
* This seat holds 100 lbs. The Kinderzeat holds 150 - 200, I think. That makes this chair less suitable for an adult, but I don't see myself using it for adults, so I didn't care. Again, for the price, it was worth it to me.
* It is VERY easy to clean!!

So... in general, my comparison to the Kinderzeat is this: The Kettler is pretty, but not quite as stylish. However, with the exception of the weight limit, it is every bit as functional.

With Debbie's 35% off, this is a GREAT deal if you've been wanting something Kinderzeat-like.

Here is a picture of my DD in it. You can see how great her position/posture is (or can be if she was sitting still!):

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7416.jpg

And, just for the heck of it - here is a picture of her in the new Kettcar that we bought from Debbie (which Dan thankfully assembled for us!!!) :)

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7417.jpg

Debbie said that she would be happy to do another deal for the Kettler high chairs once Neve and I post our reviews. Did anybody else purchase one from Debbie?

ann

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-08-2004, 10:22 PM
Love the pictures thanks for sharing!!!!

Here is a picture, and the tray removes (according to Steve I have not seen it removed)

The wood is incredible, so soft and gorgeous, the tray fits right up to the seat and it bolted on the side so it is clean lines and you just plop child down in there no adjusting.

http://www.barebabies.com/titohichfrke.html

I have no pics taken yet but will post and will soon!!!!
We LOVE it too!!!! Ours has no plastic on it, to anyone considering these Kettlers there are THREE different ones I beleive.
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

riostoker
06-09-2004, 10:49 AM
Neve, I decided against that one because it looked like when you take the tray off that the side parts would keep it from scooting up to the table all the way. That was our big issue with the booster seat we had - she ended up sitting too far away from the table. It is always so hard to tell things like that from pictures though. When you take the tray off yours, do you think you'll be able to scoot him up to where his legs are under the table and his chest is near the table (like adults sit in regular chairs)? That was what appealed to me about the Junior - no arm rests or side pieces in the way.

ann

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-09-2004, 11:32 AM
I didn't even think about that...
I'll check, the tray has those same bolts that lower the foot rest so I can't unbolt (easily) but can go down and play with it and tell if I think it does atleast :)...

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

wdland45
06-09-2004, 01:01 PM
Ann, would you mind sharing how much your seat came to. I am getting fed up with our toddler chair, and this looks like a great alternative to the kinderzeat. If you feel uncomfortable, I understand. Thanks.

Danielle, Mom to Alex, 12.03.01 and Brian, 7.27.03

riostoker
06-09-2004, 04:46 PM
No problem... Debbie's deal was 35% off, so it came to $70 plus tax or shipping. I am local (Raleigh, NC area), so I paid tax, but if you needed it shipped, I think you just pay shipping but no tax.

I *think* that Debbie will offer the same percentage off again, but I don't know absolutely. She said she was happy to do a co-op for the highchairs after our reviews, so I would guess it would be the same deal.

ann

supercalifragilous
06-09-2004, 05:35 PM
I'm sorry if this sounds stupid, but I came onto the boards too late for the Kettler co-op... who's Debbie and is she with barebabies.com?

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-09-2004, 07:19 PM
That is my understanding too that she will give 35% off for another order of chairs!!!! The chairs are new for her, I think it was our interest that got her to consider them, so she said since they are new and she couldn't speak for them she'd only feel right giving us a chance to review and then offering them at a discount.

Neve
Feb 25, 2003

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-09-2004, 07:21 PM
She's a store owner that is local to where I live, I approached her and asked her to do a special if I got a certain amount of orders and she did...
She is wonderful! We talk about the sale so much that she is simply known as "Debbie" here :)...and to think she has never visited our boards :)
Neve
Feb 25, 2003

wdland45
06-09-2004, 09:55 PM
Ann and Neve,
My guys are quite the little piggies. How hard is it to clean up, especially around the base of the seat (on the floor) and the seat? The toddler chair I have now is kind of closed in, which makes it a PITA to clean up.

Thank you for your answers. I am definetly interested in getting at least one...

riostoker
06-09-2004, 11:45 PM
Super easy clean up! That is one of the things I really like about it... no nooks and crannies to clean. Just wipe it off like you'd wipe up your table.

MUCH easier to clean than a regular high chair, and the booster seat was always a pain because food would end up underneath it!

ann

sbirmantaz
06-10-2004, 08:35 AM
The highchair looks great! We have an island that we eat at, do you think this chair would adjust high enough? I use a hook on chair right now...

wdland45
06-10-2004, 10:09 AM
Anybody else? Neve, how do you suggest we proceed? Wait for a group that is interested and then contact Debbie? Please advise.... Thanks ladies. Ya sold me!

cchavez
06-10-2004, 02:42 PM
I still have to do more research and I am not in a hurry but if the deal goes through in the next few months, I will probably order one.

riostoker
06-10-2004, 03:56 PM
I think the chair is really designed to work at regular table height but for any size kid. It is flexible enough with height to allow a 1 y.o. or a 14 y.o. to sit comfortably, at the right height and with feet flat on the platform/floor, but it is not designed for an island/bar height. You probably have to stick with your hook-on chair.

ann

riostoker
06-10-2004, 03:58 PM
I'm pretty sure Debbie said something like, "We could do a deal on the chairs in the next couple of weeks after you review them.", so it sounds like she is ready soon. Neve, do you want to contact her and see how she wants this to work?

ann

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-10-2004, 05:54 PM
She had said that she would do it for like the three weeks after we get ours. She and I just hung up with eachother and I have to call her back, but I do know that shared a concern that many have if it dragged out to long in that many folks are left with waiting for their product.

I suspect that this could start as early as now for 2 weeks or from 2 weeks from Monday...so about 18 days...
Neve
Feb 25, 2003