PDA

View Full Version : Really cute Austrian sandbox and a dilemma. WWYD?

Sandy
06-16-2004, 04:02 PM
OK. Alexander's great aunt found this adorable sandbox and got one for him for her house and my MIL just ordered one for him at her house. So he already has 2 of these things. And even though it is on sale it isn't cheap. I wanted to set up a sandbox here at home for him but I don't know if he really needs 3 of these things. What do you think. It was $220.00 and now is a $150.00. I have attached a pic below.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/7728.jpg

Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

ddmarsh
06-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Is it on sale online? If so, can you let me know where?

IMO having three might actually result in disinterest a bit, KWIM? Sometimes things that aren't at children's homes are actually more special so if it were me I would let that be special at his relatives' homes and spend the money on something else for home.

Samraelanelevi
06-16-2004, 09:29 PM
It all depends. Does he spend lots of time at these other houses? Are you home all day with him or does he go to daycare? If he spends his days in daycare and then goes to visit these other homes a lot then don't get one. But if he is home all day then I say get one. Sandboxes are fun for kids of mulit ages and will last a long time. My now 7 year old likes to play in the sandbox still. It seems like a decent price too.

Brenda

Karenn
06-16-2004, 10:52 PM
Have you had a chance to see whether or not Alexander likes sandboxes? I bought one for Colin, and so far, he really doesn't spend all that much time in it. That surprised me considering what a blast he had a the beach. At this age, for Colin 3 sandboxes anywhere would be too many. But, I know there are many kids who seem to enjoy them more than he does so it may all depend.

boys2enough
06-16-2004, 11:56 PM
It is really cute. Here is another way of looking at your dilemma: Will you ever build a play set (fort or whatever people call it nowadays) for DS? If so, you can consider models/blueprints that have a sandbox. Ours has a sandbox underneath the "fort." HTH some.

But I have to say, it IS adorable. :)

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

Sandy
06-17-2004, 12:22 AM
Hi Debbie,
It is online. Here is the link:

http://tinyurl.com/yum8a

Sandy
06-17-2004, 12:26 AM
Good points. The boy loves the sandbox. I find sand embedded in places where I can't even imagine how he gets it there. I think he dives in head first and swims through the sand. He is in daycare for at least 4 hours every day and does visit the other houses quite a bit.

I thought that having 3 would be too much. Darn, I really liked it.

Thanks for you thoughts.

ddmarsh
06-17-2004, 09:58 AM
Thanks Sandy. BTW, does the roof also function as a cover for the sand - I would assume so but it doesn't say that in any of the info.

What do you think of the quality? I was a bit disappointed in the quality of something else I purchased from them recently.

Sandy
06-17-2004, 12:42 PM
Debbie,
The roof does act as a cover for the sandbox. It can be rolled up and down. It seems to be of a pretty good quality. The wood was very nice. My Great aunt has only had it for about a week and Alexander has only played in it once so far but he seemed to really like it. It holds about 70 pounds of sand. It doesn't have a bottom so you may want to line it with something.

HTH,

sc
06-17-2004, 03:29 PM
Sandy,

Do you know how long does it take to assemble the sandbox up? Is it easy? Thanks.

Susan

Sandy
06-17-2004, 04:37 PM
I'm not sure. Our aunt and MIL always makes him assemble Alexander's toys at their houses. DH went over to assemble it and I didn't see it til after it was done. He complained that it was a PITA, but he does like to whine a lot. I usually end up assembling a lot of Alexander's toys as he is such a whiner and I don't want to hear it. ;) i.e. it was me that assembled Alexander's Air Jumbo. So I would take what he said with a grain of salt.