PDA

View Full Version : Need help unscrambling the Kettler puzzle...

suburbanmommy
06-20-2004, 05:20 PM
Hi everyone!

I generally consider myself in the know about the "in" stuff for babies, but low and behold you girls have trumped me. I had never heard of Kettler until today when I began my search for first birthday presents for my dd. I think they are just about the cutest trikes I have ever seen. I want to get one for dd, but I am totally and utterly confused, notwithstanding my trip to the company's website and my two hour review of your posts.

What am I supposed to be getting? I think that I want the Air Jumbo, but I don't really know why. Please help with suggestions as to which Kettler trike to purchase and with what additions. Also, should I call Debbie at Oopsie Daisy to get one or is there now a better way?

Lastly, our good friend is turning one two weeks before DS. Any great ideas for a birthday gift for a boy? I was thinking clothes, but now I am leaning toward a Radio Flyer wagon. Should I get the Tiny Trike or #12? Or should I get one of those Neurosmith Jumbo Music Blocks? Help!

Thanks in advance. I love this message board. You are all so helpful.

Dcclerk
06-21-2004, 02:14 AM
In our world, the dump truck back is a necessity. We use that thing to carry sand toys to the park, sippy cups to friends' houses, and sunblock to the beach. It's very handy. We have the Navigator, but I think the Jumbo is the other one with that feature. If so, I'd get the Jumbo. I also think that the seatbelt and pushbar are necessities, and the footpads and bell a great touch.

As for a one-year-old gift, I think the wagon is a fantastic gift. My one-year-old loves riding in them, putting things in them and even pushing them around. I wouldn't go with the music block, personally. It was one of his all-time favorite gifts for about a 3 mos span, but that was more 7 to 10 mos. Now that he is more mobile, the block doesn't hold as much interest. Have fun shopping!

tippy
06-21-2004, 02:27 AM
My son has the block that plays ittsy bitsy spider, old mcdonald, if your happy and you know it, five little monkeys, the wheels on the bus and pop goes the weasel. He is now 17 months and I really think he plays with it now more than ever. He's really into pulling the spider out and making the weasle "pop" I think a wagon would be great too. My ds got a plastic ride on fire truck for his 1 yr bday which he also really loves.

We ordered the regular Jumbo and the only word of caution I have is that the foot rest works better with the air frame (straight frame) than with the s frame (regular frame). That is per Kettler. I just know we have a problem with it from time to time (the peddles will turn if ds shift his weight on the footrest and this causes the trike to come to an abrupt stop!) I also ordered the stroller bar. I noticed the other day that radio fleyer just came out with a model that has a stroller bar with a bag that converts to a nap sack but is much less than the kettler. You can check it out and compare. I don't think the construction is as good as kettler but it might be ok.

suburbanmommy
06-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Okay, I think that I am beginning to understand. The seatbelt, pushbar, footpads and bell are all additions, while the dump feature is standard on the Jumbo/Navigator. Is there a difference then between the "Air" Jumbo and a regular Jumbo. Did you purchase your Kettler from the Oopsie Daisy lady?

Thanks. I am totally feeling right now like we have a huge assortment of toys that hold no interest for DD. The only thing I have seen her gravitate towards repeatedly is the Fisher Price learning table she got during the holidays -- and the only reason I think she likes it is because it helps her stand up!

amp
06-21-2004, 11:25 AM
One of the main differences, I believe, is the air tires in the air jumbo, as opposed to the smaller tube type tires.

tippy
06-21-2004, 08:11 PM
The frames are also different. The air models have a straight frame which don't accept the tandem insert. (an additional seat for a second child) and the regular models have an S-frame which will accept the tandem seat. Also from what I understand, the air tires are bigger and for a tougher terrain. There was a thread about the tires that pointed out more differences and pro's and con's. You might want to look that over.

In case you didn't see this, it is a link to all the kettler threads (as of the date posted)HTH
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=16344

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
06-22-2004, 12:21 AM
We missed out on the co-op, so we bought a Kettler from the One Step Ahead catalog. As far as I can tell, it's the same as a Jumbo, except the frame is "straight", and it comes with the pushbar and seatbelt. It was about $100. Plus, there's a coupon code flating around out there (you could do a search) for 10% off orders over $50. I consider this to be a pretty good deal, all in all.

suburbanmommy
06-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Thanks to all for the info so far. However, I was hoping someone could tell me where you obtained all of this information. Was it the Kettler website or message posts? Here I was thinking I was nearly all set and now I learn about the tandem seat option. Help!

P.S. Thanks to Neve.

P.P.S. I think that I am going to start a new thread re: the toy question.

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-22-2004, 10:46 AM
I doubt anywhere on this earth that there is more Kettler info than this one thread holds...

I would pull it up and then go to the top of the screen and print out the user friendly thread and read it...
honestly I bet we covered more info than even the Kettler reps know right here among us.

note tandems can not be done with air tires...which is a tragedy...
so if you want air you can't tandem...if you don't want air I think that frame will allow you to tandem...

OOOPS EDITED FOR I FORGOT TO POST LINK
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=16344

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties