PDA

View Full Version : Did your kids really like their wooden rocking horse?

etwahl
06-25-2004, 06:52 PM
i'm wondering if this is a take it or leave it kind of toy. last christmas we thought about getting one for dd for THIS coming christmas. there is a 20% off coupon for plow and hearth (which was our first pick) and the babystyle one also looked maybe a bit more functional, but definitely not as traditional.

but just wondering if they're a "must have", "nice to have", or just one of those things people buy just because it's a wooden rocking horse, and being that's a traditional type toy and can be pass-me down type of thing?

tippy
06-26-2004, 01:20 AM
My ds got one for his first birthday but it isn't the typical rocker. http://www.rockinghorsedepot.com/Little%20Pony.htm

This site also has some beautiful "traditional" rockers as well.

He's not CRAZY about it. He will sometime ask to be put in and rock for a minute but quickly wants to get out. I think as he gets older and if he had a more realistic looking horse he might be get into it more. HTH

Here is a link to another older thread I found on this topic
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=9774&mode=full

August Mom
06-26-2004, 05:47 AM
For us, it's definitely not a must have. DS likes it, but for VERY short period of time. (We have stuffed rocking horse, FWIW). I don't think Lauren will be deprived if she doesn't have one. It's really up to you.

muskiesusan
06-26-2004, 10:42 AM
Nick received an Amish rocking horse for his 1st birthday and it is one of the few toys that is still played with. He doesn't ride it everyday, but it doesn't collect dust either. We both love it and are glad we received it.

Susan
Mom to Nick 10/01/01
& Alex 04/27/04

barbarhow
06-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Jack loves his wooden rocking horse. He gets a big grin on his face as he climbs on it and then sets it "galloping" across the room...
Barbara-mom to Jack 3/27/03

egoldber
06-26-2004, 02:35 PM
Well we don't have one, so I don't consider it a must have, LOL! :) DD has played with them at playgroups and she likes them for about 30 seconds and then gets off.

I think it also depends on youre child. Some kids are super agile, climb easily and nimbly and have great balance. For them, a rocking horse may be a good toy. My DD is NOT like that. She is not a good climber, does not have great balance, and frankly I think FOR US a rocking horse would be a big hazard to have around the house.

cchavez
06-26-2004, 03:13 PM
Diego really likes his rocking horse. It is a very beautiful, handmade horse that was a gift from his grandfather when he was born. I don't think we would have ever purchased one for him ourselves but it has been a wonderful gift. He doesn't play with it that long but he does enjoy a few minutes with it everyday! hth

etwahl
06-26-2004, 06:00 PM
i think you're right beth. we've decided not to get a rocking horse. i think we wanted one more because they're cute, but the reality is, i doubt lauren would play with it for more than 30 seconds either. and at this point, she's not got a lot of balance or grace either, (and quite frankly neither does her mother) so that probably won't change much as she gets older, LOL!

thanks for the advice everyone!!!

tammy

lisams
06-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Since our house is already cluttered with oversized toys that DD really doesn't spend that much time playing with, we opted for a teeter-totter for outside. We got the naturally playful one by Step 2. She can sit in the middle and rock by herself and when she is older can rock on the end with a friend or sibling.

Just another thought.
Lisa

pamela mom of 3
06-27-2004, 10:00 PM
We have one by Brio{yes, the train people ;)} and my son still loves it and he's 3.5yrs, even my 5.5yo will hop on it time to time. So for us anyhow it was worth it plus it's super cute LOL

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif