PDA

View Full Version : "musical instruments" for 13 month old?

deborah_r
06-29-2004, 09:47 PM
I've seen things like tamborines and drums at people's houses (maybe Little Tikes?) - anyone have any recommendations for this kind of toy?

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-29-2004, 11:26 PM
Debroah,
I got mine from Tuesady Morning...they are nice and from a compnay called "First Act", the Mirakas are painted the drum is painted, they look hand made.

I have seen them since at Walmart, they are not plastic, but wood. Tristan loves his, and my mom got him a flute I think at Mount Vernon and he loves that too...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

redhookmom
06-29-2004, 11:36 PM
Order a catalog from this company: http://westmusic.com/

They have good quality instruments. They even have some "sets."

heidi_timms
06-30-2004, 03:03 AM
I like the Parents Magazine Bee Bop Band from Target. All of the musical instruments are shaped like bugs. It's so cute and all of the instruments fit inside the drum.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey
4/03

McQ
06-30-2004, 09:30 AM
We thought Declan would love a drum so we ordered him one (the Remo kid floor tom that was recommended here). It's a really nice drum, but he never uses it. Unless you count turning it over and dumping toys in it :)

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

parkersmama
06-30-2004, 12:08 PM
Like most toys, I've found that it totally depends on the child! Parker didn't care a thing about instruments. Wesley has loved them from the start and can make almost anything come out sounding like music. :) Amy Grace likes them, too.

We have an assortment of instruments but if I were you, I'd start out with the inexpensive plastic set from Little Tikes (maracas & tamborine, I think) and see if he likes them before investing more money in nice wooden instruments. The best drum I've found is the Lollipop Drum from Remo Kids. http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--REMET7110 It has a terrific sound...very realistic! So many toy drums have a flat sound and don't sound realistic.

HTH!

cchavez
06-30-2004, 01:58 PM
We got this as a gift and D really likes it. I would recommend it. I think the set costs under 15.00.

cimberdog
06-30-2004, 03:26 PM
We got a lot of fun toys, especially the yellow maracas from www.expressivetoys.com They were $5.00 and he LOVES them.

The prices are reasonable and the shipping is very fast. And, I like dealing with someone I 'know' from the strollerswap boards.

MartiesMom2B
06-30-2004, 08:30 PM
Martie loves her drum, but I'm not sure that I want a realistic drum booming throughout the house. LOL! Is it really loud - like a real drum kit? She's so musical. I'm envisioning expensive music lessons in the future.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

jec2
06-30-2004, 08:38 PM
I haven't done any research, but I was just thinking about ordering ours from kindermusik.com (i think htat is the url). We take km classes so I thought it would be fun for Ds to have ones that he uses in class.

HTH

ETA: Also, if you have a KM in your area, the teacher likely has some in stock so you don't have to pay shipping. I just talked w/our teacher yesterday and she said that she is placing a big order in Aug. and i can give her a list of what I want and she'll order anything for me.

parkersmama
06-30-2004, 11:07 PM
Weeellll, it's not loud like a drum set but it's certainly louder than say a Little Tikes drum. :D It's got a really nice mellow sound that makes it irresistable to drum on! Adults and kids alike are drawn to it!

pixelprincess
07-01-2004, 01:31 AM
i second the Bee Bop Band...it is 20$ at Target and would like to get one too. it is always sold out at both our Target's.

formerly durga8