PDA

View Full Version : Questions re: LT DiscoverSounds Toys/Play Kitchens Generally

zuzu
07-01-2004, 04:43 PM
I was looking into getting the Kitchen and was trying to decide between the new and old design when I saw that several places have the old kitchen bundled with the Playstore for around $30. That seems like a good deal if I decide to get the old Kitchen. I hadn't seen the Playstore before though and wanted to see if anyone had any feedback on it. Would two of these types of toys be overkill? We already have the Activity Garden and she loves that.

Also, and I know this is totally subjective, how annoying are the noises on the DiscoverSounds toys? We have very few toys that make noise, and I generally don't prefer them, but I have been okay with the LeapStart LearningTable.

I see the reccommended age for these toys goes up to three years, but what has been your experience? Eventually, I'd like to get DD a nice wooden kitchen set, but I'm guessing she won't use it for a while. At what age do most toddlers start playing with those? I'd rather sink my money into one of those if she is likely to start using it in a few months, but if she is likely get a year or so out of the LP one, I'll get that for now.

Sorry so many questions, and thanks for any replies!

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5.10.03)

August Mom
07-01-2004, 07:57 PM
$30 is a great deal for both. There are some similarities, but differences as well. We have the playstore. DS liked it, but for us it would have been better to have it when he was more interested in playing while sitting or at least standing still. As it was, DS kept climbing on the "step" where the shape sorter is and we had to put the toy away. It got very little use. Someone in playgroup has the old kitchen and everyone's favorite part is to push the button to dispense the "ice." It looks like that feature was eliminated on the new model. I chose the store over the kitchen mainly because of the ball drop. DS did like that as well as putting coins in the cash register. He also liked pushing the cash register buttons. Overall, the sounds are pretty mild. I wasn't going crazy while he was playing.

Good luck.

vikivoly
07-02-2004, 01:13 AM
We don't have the Playstore, so I don't have much to offer on that, but $30 for both is a steal! DD is 19 months and I still think the kitchen is one of her favorite toys. I plan on getting a larger play kitchen for her birthday or Christmas. She might still be a little young to really appreciate it, but I'm pretty certain she will play with it.

As far as the sounds go on the kitchen, they aren't bad at all. As a matter of fact, it doesn't even take batteries. The new kitchen has all sorts of sounds/music, but I haven't seen/heard it IRL. It does require batteries.

Here is a link to a discussion regarding the new vs. old kitchen. (I recommended the old one.)
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=19386&mesg_id=19386&page=2

zuzu
07-02-2004, 09:15 AM
Thanks so much for your feedback! DD is almost 14 months, but not walking yet, so I was hoping to get a few good months out of them, at least. It sounds like we probably will, so I'll go ahead and order them. Glad to hear they aren't really noisy, and can be used without batteries too! :) I've seen the Kitchen for $30 on its own, so I thought both for that price looked good. They must be trying to get rid of the old design before the new one comes out. I may keep one and give the other as a gift, or leave one upstairs and keep the other in her downstairs play area.

Thanks again.

jk3
07-02-2004, 10:34 AM
I love both of these toys. I bought them when they were sold together for $40 with free shipping. I originally planned to keep one and use the other as a gift-some of you might remember that thread! In any event, I kept the kitchen originally + my DS absolutely loves this toy. He can play with the ice cubes, the doors + the pan for a long time. He liked it so much that last week I opened the playstore + put it next to the kitchen in our family room. He loves this toy too. the ball drop is really neat + he loves to put the coins in the cash register + to open the drawer and find them. I would snatch them up before they come out with the new design!

Jenn
DS 6/03

zuzu
07-02-2004, 11:15 AM
Thanks Jenn. I checked out the shipping and it's so high (over $20!) that they wouldn't be such a great deal anymore. I see free shipping deals at KBToys, eToys and buy.com, but would have to spend $75 and there's nothing else they have that I want right now. I'm guessing the local KB stores don't carry these--I ran into the same issues when trying to find the Activity Garden. :(
Where did you find your free shipping?

Looks like we'll just get one of them locally.

jk3
07-02-2004, 11:50 AM
I purchased the set from KBToys.com when they had a free shipping on any order. Perhaps they'll have an offer soon. I hope so!

Jenn
DS 6/03

zuzu
07-02-2004, 12:23 PM
Thanks for all your help!
If no deals show up by Monday, I'll pick up one locally so she can start playing with it. I think we have a TRU credit lying around somewhere. . .

justlearning
07-02-2004, 01:00 PM
We have the old model and it actually does take a battery or two (maybe yours came with it and they haven't died yet--we haven't changed ours since we put them in, which was back in October or Nov.). The sounds it makes is a sizzling sound when the frying pan is put on the burner (has to be done just right or the sound won't go off), a boiling water sound when the pot it put on the burner, and a tick-tick-tick when the timer is turned on. DS plays with his kitchen a lot, but I rarely hear him making these sounds. And when they do make a sound, they pale in comparison to the volume or annoying aspect of the sounds made by his LeapFrog table.

I think $30 is a great deal for both!

vikivoly
07-03-2004, 01:12 AM
"it actually does take a battery or two"

Oops! I didn't put ours together and never noticed a battery compartment, so I just assumed it didn't take one. Sorry.