PDA

View Full Version : sunscreen questions

Mikesa3
07-10-2004, 10:47 PM
I've been looking at sunscreens and read some posts here about them but I have a couple of questions.I really like the spray kind,it just seems easier to use but all the spray ones I've looked at don't list Titanium Dioxide as the active ingredient.Does it have to use Titanium Dioxide or is other ingredients safe.Is the main reason to use the TD because of allergic reactions?I was thinking of using the spray for my older kids,dh and me and getting a TD kind for my 1 year old.I've used the spray on my 4 year old and older kids and they didn't have any reaction.Any input? TIA
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids

kaitlinsmommy
07-11-2004, 02:02 AM
I would think the spray ones you have are fine IMHO. I use Baby Magic (that has titanium dioxide) because it has instant protection and doesn't need to be applied 15 min. before we go outside.

JElaineB
07-11-2004, 10:01 AM
I don't think you'll find any sunscreen that has only titanium dioxide for an active ingredient. All the ones I have seen list it along with other sunscreen ingredients. I think zinc oxide and titanium dioxide are used because they physically block the light rays from getting to your skin, whereas the other ingredients allow the sun to reach your skin but they (the chemicals) absorb/scatter the light rays rather than letting your skin absorb the light.

I do have both Baby Magic lotion sunblock (SPF 50) with titanium dioxide at 5.9% and Baby Magic spray sunblock (SPF 48) with titanium dioxide at 2.14% (both have other sunblocking ingredients as well). Only the lotion, not the spray says "Instant Protection", probably because of the high titanium dioxide content. The directions on the spray say to apply it 15 minutes before going out. I use both and I like both. I don't find the spray overwhelmingly easier to use than the lotion, but it does go on somewhat more easily.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Mikesa3
07-11-2004, 02:55 PM
>
>I do have both Baby Magic lotion sunblock (SPF 50) with
>titanium dioxide at 5.9% and Baby Magic spray sunblock (SPF
>48) with titanium dioxide at 2.14% (>Jennifer
>mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Thanks for info.I didn't explain that I realize there would be other ingredients but I have been looking at many different brands of spray and none had the TD.I'm glad to know the Baby Magic kind spray will work.:-) I know that Td coats the skin instead on being absorbed but I wonder if the other types are bad to use.
Nancy-Mom to 6 great kids