PDA

View Full Version : gift ideas desperately needed for 2 and 3 yr olds

ohiomom
07-12-2004, 11:41 PM
My friend's kids birthdays are coming up and I am clueless what to get them and their mom offered no suggestions. They've lent us practically everything we've needed for DD -- from breast pump to clothes to crib to monitor to toys...

Any suggestions for a 2 year old girl and 3 year old boy who are both very active? It could be a shared gift or 2 items... Please help!!
Nicole's Mom 7/03

August Mom
07-13-2004, 12:42 AM
What's your price range?

I would say that books are always a good gift. Also, disposable items are good (coloring books, crayons/markers, paints, sticker books, Play Doh, etc.) Any kind of pretend item would be good for a 2-year old (kitchen cookware, wooden food items by M&D, vacuum cleaner, dolls with highchair, stroller, etc.). Perhaps sports items would be good. DS loves baseball, basketball, golf and football. There are cute basketball, baseball and golf sets for around $20 - $30 from both LT and FP. A good joint gift might be an easel (perhaps with some paints or markers). Other thoughts are puzzles or felt story board with story pieces.

babymama
07-13-2004, 11:17 AM
Just bought this Fisher Price Talkin' Fish Pole for my 2 yr old godson. His mom asked for it bc he had been over to a friends house and fell in love w/ it. Both boys had a hard time sharing this toy bc they each wanted it for themselves. Couldn't find it in any stores locally, so bought it on amazon.
BTW - Amazon has it listed as "tallin fish pole", a typo.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/toys/B00005BYDH/qid%3D1089728480/sr%3D11-1/ref%3Dsr%5F11%5F1/103-6950609-5723004

Also bought him the vhs tape of a movie called Winged Migration.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000D0YXW/qid=1089728681/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-6950609-5723004?v=glance&s=video
It popped up as an amazon recommendation after I bought the fish pole. Never seen it myself. Reviews say there's not much narration in the film, mostly just footage of birds and calming music. His mom says that my godson (and his almost 5 yr old sister) is mesmerized by the film.

Good luck.
Mama to Santiago, born 11/16/03

ohiomom
07-13-2004, 12:58 PM
These seem like some good ideas! What is M&D?

I'd probably pay up to $75 total to cover them both.
Thanks!
Nicole's Mom 7/03

JacksMommy
07-13-2004, 01:03 PM
Two and three year olds are easy! Pretend play is big with both age groups - play appliances, shopping carts, cash register, dress-up clothes (slightly better for the older child) such as firemen hats, king/queen gear (robe, crowns), fairy/bug wings, boas, swords/wands - all the fun stuff. If you are going (much) higher budget, you could get easy chairs for both of them if they don't already have them. Other ideas might be a play swimming pool for the summer, a sand table, a wagon big enough for two.

If you are near a PBK you might stop in and see if they have their appliances on sale still - we have their microwave and coffee pot and they are big hits with kids of all ages, ditto the toaster, etc. I also second the Melissa&Doug cutting food (for both ages), vacuum cleaner, cooking gear, etc.

Good luck!

Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/25/02

August Mom
07-13-2004, 05:26 PM
M&D = Melissa & Doug (a wooden toy manufacturer)

If you want to go up to $75, I think I'd go with an easel and some paper/paint/markers and or other supplies to go with it. But, you could definitely do nice individual gifts in that price range too.

August Mom
07-13-2004, 05:28 PM
I agree. I got my neices a cash register and FP doctor's set/medicine bag and they loved them!

ohiomom
07-13-2004, 11:23 PM
I love the Melissa & Doug stuff! These are some great ideas. I need to go spend some time online and at the store checking out toys -- I rarely get anywhere other than Target!
Nicole's Mom 7/03

aim
07-15-2004, 01:51 PM
I second the idea for books - you could get a bunch of really great picture books that they will use for years to come - they came be read to now and later they can read them themselves.

Amy