PDA

View Full Version : How's life without a Kinderzeat?

justlearning
07-15-2004, 12:52 PM
If I don't get a Kinderzeat, I was wondering what it's like to just go from our FP Healthy Care high chair (which we love) into a booster seat.

How long do kids usually have to use a booster seat before they're able to sit in a regular adult dining chair on their own?

What are the problems associated with using a booster seat instead of something like the Kinderzeat? (For example, do kids try to get out of the booster, does it contribute to poor posture, does it make them too high?)

What are the problems associated with using a dining chair rather than a Kinderzeat after they've outgrown the booster? (For example, do they wiggle around too much, do they try to stand on the chair?)

Are there any advantages of going the booster seat route (first using the high chair we have as long as possible) rather than the Kinderzeat route other than the obvious price factor?

Thanks in advance for your feedback! :)

LucyG
07-15-2004, 02:39 PM
We don't have a Kinderzeat, so I can't answer any of your questions. BUT, I did want to say that I know many, many kids who have gone from a high chair to a booster to an adult chair with ease and no ill effects. This is the route we plan to take with our DD. At 16 months, she still mainly uses the high chair, but on occasion we use the FP Healthy Care booster, which is strapped to one of our regular kitchen chairs.

JElaineB
07-15-2004, 03:02 PM
I can't really answer your questions, but DS went from the Fisher Price Healthy Care high chair to the Fisher Price Healthy Care booster seat a couple of months ago and we have had no problems whatsoever. He had started to hate being in his high chair, but he really likes the booster seat. We use it without the tray, just pushed up to the table. He even requests to be belted in if I forget to do it! He sits in it for eating and also drawing at the table. I couldn't really justify spending $125+ more for the Kinderzeat, even though it looks interesting. DS has done fine so far with a booster seat and if I have to get him a different one in a year or two it will still be a lot less than I would have paid for the Kinderzeat.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

cinrein
07-15-2004, 03:13 PM
We're still using the FP Healthy Care high chair and have no plans to buy a Kinderzeat. We've used a booster at Grandma's house and had no problems at all with it. To be perfectly honest, I don't really get the point of the Kinderzeats. I guess it's for kids who don't like the high chair or booster? Hopefully someone will enlighten us.

Cindy and Anna February 2003

egoldber
07-15-2004, 03:21 PM
I have no plans to buy a Kinderzeat and I frankly don't want one. :) My DD went from the high chair to a strap on booster chair (Safety 1st Fold N Go) and then to a regular chair around 2. She does just fine in a regular chair, even in a restaurant.

HTH,

kaitlinsmommy
07-15-2004, 05:22 PM
I agree with previous posters. I think Kinderzeats are great and am sure dd would love it, but after thinking about it long & hard, it's just not a necessity for us. DD is fine in her hc at home and in a booster at restaurants. I will probably end up with a booster at home at some point.

August Mom
07-15-2004, 07:43 PM
We went from a high chair to a Cooshie Booster. http://tinyurl.com/594ht It does not have straps or a tray. (DS was very anti-straps, which was our problem with the high chair). Generally he likes it. He definitely is better sitting at the table with the adults than he was in his high chair. However, at times, he does stand up in his booster seat. He definitely is not too high. Depending on the table, he sometimes is still a little low, but he does a great job. DS is approaching 2 and I can't see him using just the chair in the near future. However, one of his playmates is 3 and just sits on a regular kitchen chair.

macassi
07-15-2004, 10:32 PM
My second DS went straight from the high chair to a regular chair. He figured if his brother didn't use a booster, he didn't need to use one either! He spent a good portion of his second year sitting at the table by knealing on his knees, but if it worked for him -- we figured who were we to complain. It's probably not the best recommendation, but it does reiterate that you really don't "need" most baby equipment.

Kate888
07-16-2004, 10:28 AM
About 2 months ago, my sister gave DD a Kinderzeat for present. She asked me what we'd like and after much thoughts, I chose Kinderzeat over a nice sandbox or some hanna stuff :)

Before we got the chair, I was determined to go for the high chair, booster seat, and regular dining chair route. DD is very petite for her age, so she was still using her high chair at age 2. However, the cleaning was driving me crazy (we had cloth seat) and she kept kicking the table because the footrest was too low. So I put her in a booster seat on a regular dining chair. Well, it worked well for a while untill she almost FLIPPED herself over one time (strapped to the booster). Fortunately, I caught the chair before anything happened. So I took the booster seat away and let her use a regular dining chair. She was so little that she had to kneel for the whole meal and wouldn't stay in the chair for more than 10-15 minutes (must be uncomfortable). Therefore, I finally decided to get the Kinderzeat. It's easy to clean and almost impossible to flip over. We can adjust the seat and footrest to fit DD's small frame and she loves to climb in the chair by herself. When her friends are over, they all want to sit in that chair (even five-year-old).

To answer some of your questions, if DD is taller, I may continue using the booster seat just for the short transitional period. You can put your child's height into consideration when you're making the decision. I don't think using a booster seat will cause any postual problems. However, comparing to a booster seat, Kinderzeat does add more safety (IMPORTANT for my wiggle worm) and convenience. DD does wiggle more on a dining chair because of her height. However, she will try to stand on any chair (dining chair and Kinderzeat) :)

HTH a little :)

edited to correct spelling.

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02 and Polo (my big black dog)http://www.mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/dog.gif

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/ptrose.gif

JacksMommy
07-16-2004, 12:57 PM
How well a booster seat will work for you depends at least in part on your chairs. My DS had been refusing his high chair for a while and was simply kneeling on our dining room chairs - they are very stable and he liked that he could get up on them by himself (he's always been a climber). But he never seemed to stay at the table long so I thought he must be uncomfortable. I tried a couple of booster seats but they didn't seem to work well with my chairs (I kept the receipts and was able to return at TRU easily) and DS didn't like them because he couldn't climb on the chair and the seats slipped around easily. I finally convinced DH to go with the Kinderzeat but by the time we actually bought it, DS was used to kneeling and actually prefers that. I think he likes to switch chairs. He definitely likes to stand on the chairs but since they are stable and he's pretty careful, we allow that. I think that's one reason he doesn't like the Zeat. But all the other kids who come to our house clamber to use the Kinderzeat - oh well! Fortunately, I got the euro Kinderzeat with the baby bar and will use it as a high chair for #2. I think the Kinderzeat is great if you start early enough because it promotes good posture, has a foot rest and lets even little guys sit right at the table, but obviously it doesn't work for everyone. I think it's going a little far to say that you'll have bad posture without the Zeat - after all, it's not as though most of us had them growing up...

Bottom line is, pick what seems to work for you and your baby - there's no one way.

HTH,
Laurel
Working Mama to Jack, 6/4/02
EDD #2 12/25/02

tippy
07-17-2004, 03:46 AM
We (I) really want a Kinderzeat but it isn't in our budget right now. DS is still in his Prima Pappa and loves it. We also have safety first's fold and go booster seat for when we visiting friends, family etc... and like it a lot. There are two height adjustments and it straps on very securely. The problem we have is that our dining room chairs (which I HATE) have rounded backs that the seat probably won't sit well in. I guess we will cross that bridge when we come to it. Good luck with your decision.

masetane
07-23-2004, 10:04 PM
Never had one and don't miss it I guess. It does look neat but I don't need a piece of furniture when my kids will sit at a real chair shortly. I did purchase the Cooshie one. Just fabulous. We have 2 so that the kids can sit in it and watch tv on the floor sometimes. I say save yourself the money and just get a booster!!! This product seems really great and it would be fun to have one but realistically, I don't think we all really *need* it right? I should learn to practice what I preach!!! :) My house is overloaded with kid stuff that I could manage just fine with out!!! ha ha
Caroline
Isabelle 10/1/00
Nicholas 2/27/03

nigele
07-24-2004, 09:20 PM
My son DID flip a chair backwards while sitting in his booster seat. He kicked off the table and the whole chair fell backwards and his head slammed the floor. I promptly purchased a Kinderzeat after that! He likes it and it works really well for us.