PDA

View Full Version : MUSTELA BABY PRODUCTS

abbymom
07-16-2004, 03:23 PM
I just wanted to share something with all of you that may be wanting to purchase any of these products.
I recently purchased some Mustela baby products for the upcoming birth of my daughter. I have used these products before for myself and really liked them. My new puppy apparently liked them too because she got into a bottle of the Bubble Bath that I had purchased and chewed holes in it. My husband took the bottle and placed it in our medicine cabinet without realizing that it was leaking. A few days later I went to get the bottle and the bubble bath that had leaked from the bottle had eaten away at the paint in the cabinet all the way down to the metal! This is obviously concerning to me. I purchased this product to use on my brand new baby and it was able to eat through several layers of paint in a 45 year old house! I am very unhappy with this product as well as extremley concerned to use any of the other Mustela products that I purchased. I am not sure what could possibly be in bubble bath to do this but I wonder if any of it is included in the rest of the line?
Any other experiences like this?

ABBYMOM

supercalifragilous
07-16-2004, 05:37 PM
WOW - I'd been using Mustela on DD for her first year! We recently ran out and I haven't had a chance to go out and buy some again so we switched to the California Baby line since it was there at the healthfood store (and DD loves the bubble bath line) and use the Weleda massage oil.

I absolutely loved the smell of Mustela and I was missing it recently! Have you contacted Mustela? I wonder what caused this? I can't believe BABY wash is so caustic it would eat away at the paint down to the metal!!!!! :o I'm in total shock!

If you contacted Mustela, please post what they said! I'd be so interested!

tippy
07-17-2004, 03:36 AM
I used to use the baby bath too (also loved the smell) but ran out and didn't get any more since it's soooo expensive. Still, this is quit disturbing! Please let us know what Mustela says if you do contact them! I also use the Weldela massage oil on ds every night. I love that product and recommend it highly!

abbymom
07-19-2004, 12:42 PM
You would not believe this... They sent me back an e-mail stating how all of their products are tested by dermatologists, doctors, etc. and that the cause of the problem was that my home was so old and the paint must have just rubbed right off! The paint that I was reffering to is in my bathroom cabinet. It is oil based paint and there are a few layers as my house is older. BUT! I have cleaned the bathroom cabinet several times with strong cleaners for germs and NEVER have I peeled off the paint!!! I just can't believe that they are making excuses and blaming it on my house. This is totally unaccepptable! I will not be purchasing these products in the future.

ABBYMOM

californiagirl
07-19-2004, 02:13 PM
Oil-based paint over metal might well be softened by any old oil. It would resist cleaners for bathrooms, which are not oily, better than it would resist oils. Try putting some oil you trust on a patch of the paint you don't care about, and see if it doesn't soften up.

abbymom
07-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Thanks- I'll try it and see what happens.
ABBYMOM

lampes
07-19-2004, 04:22 PM
Someone on another list (maybe the babywearing yahoo group) posted this link:

http://www.ewg.org/reports/skindeep/category.php?ewg_cat=Baby%20Bath%20Wash

It lists popular baby washes and oils that present the greatest risks to consumers. Mustela's products rate very high on the safety range (meaning that they are of most concern). After reading this report, we switched right away to Aveeno.

kelly ann
07-19-2004, 04:35 PM
Excuse me...but holy crap! I have used or have in stash to use the top three. Can someone recommend something on the "good" list that smells good.

missym
07-19-2004, 05:08 PM
While I agree that chemicals in everyday products should be a concern, I'd be careful about putting too much faith in the EWG's report. Their "scientific" methods have been repeatedly called into question. Here's an article about the Skin Deep list:
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040701/cgth042_1.html

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03