PDA

View Full Version : Idea for extending life of Symphony in Motion mobile

justlearning
07-18-2004, 02:16 AM
I just wanted to post this in case some of you packed away your Symphony in Motion mobile months ago because your child could reach up and touch the mobile (and thus it poses a hazard).

I don't recommend using the mobile part after that point--in fact, I highly discourage it, as we found that our son pulled the whole mobile down on himself one day, which was very easy to do.

But, what I did want to share is that the music box part of the mobile has been the best thing we could have ever bought for our son. We left that part up on the crib (again, just the music box, not the attached mobile) and would have it play music for him as he'd fall asleep for naps or at night. For quite a few months now, he has loved turning the music on and off himself by pushing the appropriate button. Every time when he wakes up from a nap or in the morning, he immediately pushes the buttons to play music--he really loves jamming to Mozart and Bach! :) This easily gives me an extra 10-15 minutes with him playing happily in his crib. It's also a great way for us to know that he's awake--we hear the music start playing in the baby monitor.

Anyhow, my guess is that many of you did in fact leave the music box up on your crib, but I thought I'd post this anyways in case some of you might wish to dig it out of the box and see if your DS or DD likes it as much as my son does. HTH someone! :)

ETA: One more benefit...oftentimes we'll hear DS wake up in the middle of the night, turn his mobile on, then fall right back asleep without crying at all. A great self-soothing behavior! :)

ethansmom
07-18-2004, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the reminder!! We took ours down completely when he was 5 months since I didn't think he'd be able to operate the music by himself. I had since forgotten about it. He loves music, so we'll put this up tomorrow!

writeleigh
07-18-2004, 09:27 PM
Good idea! DS loves that mobile :)

Leigh

papal
07-18-2004, 11:38 PM
FANTASTIC IDEA! It never even crossed my mind! Thanks!!!

TaChapm
07-19-2004, 12:27 AM
We have left it up in DS crib and he still loves it! Everytime he wakes up he turns it on and will lay there being mellow for about 10 min. To me being able to use the music box after the mobile comes down is one of the best things about it.

Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02

tippy
07-19-2004, 01:44 AM
LOL! As I write this (12:53 am!) ds just turned on his music! He is 18 1/2 mo old and has been using just him music box since he was about 10 mo old. It is how he soothes himself back to sleep. He uses it so much that I have to change the batteries every few weeks. We are going to Orlando on Tuesday (another post!) and I plan on packing it!

Mom2Miri
07-19-2004, 04:53 PM
We also took the toys off the mobile and they have continued to be among her favorites. Just today she was playing with the little balls on the strings again.

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

tippy
07-19-2004, 10:54 PM
Hi,

I don't mean to sound preachy or anything but I thought the toys posed a choking hazard (small pieces) and that's why they recommend you take the mobile down when your child can sit up. We put the toys away and only use the music box.

Mom2Miri
07-20-2004, 01:19 AM
Hm....I thought it was because they reach up and pull it down. Well the balls are pretty safe. I'll look again at the animals but she's concentrated on the balls.

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

tippy
07-20-2004, 01:59 AM
I could be wrong but wanted to put it out there just in case. ;)