PDA

View Full Version : Scat Mat - Cat Training - Anyone Used?

sniknshelb
07-26-2004, 10:44 AM
Hi,

We just got our crib setup and our cat's unfortunitly are enjoying it way to much.

Has anyone had any experience with training their cats that they are not allowed in the crib?

We've found online a product called "SCAT MAT", that is mat that you place on things you dont' want the cat's to be, and if they do jump in or on, then it provides a low current shock to them.

Sounds like it would be the way to teach them not to get in the crib, but was wondering if anyone else had any knowledge of the product or any other ways to successfully train your cats.

Thanks,

Todd & Sherry
Toledo, OH
edd: 10/02/04

amp
07-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Yep, been there, done that. We had great success with just putting tinfoil in the crib, bassinet, PNP and changing table pad. After a time or two of leaping onto that, they gave up. We kept it in there for weeks just to make sure.

Another good thing to try is double sided tape, which you can just put on the crib, or you can attach it to cardboard or paper and put it there. Cats do not like when it sticks to their feet.

And very firm and angry "NO!", accompanying their distaste for the above items helped to solidify it for them.

Lastly, once the baby is here, they likely won't want to be in there anymore. Ours gave the baby a very wide berth! But these things will likely train them before baby arrives. And they are much cheaper things to try before you go buy something. There are also crib tents out there that help keep cats out, but I recommend trying the cheaper homeade versions first. You can always buy something later.

Marisa6826
07-26-2004, 01:32 PM
Waste of money. We just found ours from when we moved. I tossed it.

As Andrea said, tinfoil works just as effectively for a fraction of the cost.

-m

icunurse
07-26-2004, 01:42 PM
We used them to teach our dogs to stay off the couch. They worked well. Now, even if they are turned off, the dogs won't go near the couch. However, if the mats aren't there, the dogs will be.
Traci
~Connor's Mom~
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050204/1/0/1/-6/.png (http://lilypie.com)

sniknshelb
07-26-2004, 01:47 PM
Thanks for the feeback...

We're definately going to try the alternatives mentioned.

Thank you all...

Todd & Sherry
Toledo, OH
edd: 10/02/04

rottiemom
07-27-2004, 12:05 PM
Definitely try the tinfoil first, then the double sided tape if your cats are obstinate (as the occasional cat can be :))

A word of warning, though. Our cat had no interest in the crib until AFTER the baby was born. She never went in when the baby was there but I did catch her in there a few times when William & I had been elsewhere. She would be menacing the mobile or playing through the bars. It's kind of hard to do the tinfoil thing every time you take your newborn out of the crib. She's been broken of the habit by now but just a word of warning to keep a close eye once the baby is born.

There's also something called the crib canopy, rigid frame with netting over it, specifically for keeping cats on the outside. Just in case your cat proves to be really tenacious.

Good luck!

Nina

emelsea
07-27-2004, 05:23 PM
We tried one of those mats to keep the cats off the couch. It worked when it was on there, but they were smart enough to figure out that when the mat wasn't there, they could lay on the couch!

I would suggest the tin foil method, but put in UNDER a sheet while you are training, so that they can't peek up there and see that the foil is gone.

aim
07-28-2004, 06:19 PM
If your cats have claws, fill the crib with balloons - when they jump in they will pop them and in my experience never return to that area. I have also had the tin foil work with other cats.

Amy