PDA

View Full Version : Signing quandary

mum1day
07-26-2004, 04:53 PM
I'm in a bit of a quandary. I would like to start doing Signing Times on DVD with DD, but don't want her to watch TV until she's at least 2. Any ideas? I like signing times because it's ASL, whereas Garcia is not.

TIA

Natasha
Mum to Giuliana (3/1/04)

murpheyblue
07-26-2004, 05:08 PM
You can watch the DVDs yourself and then do the signs with her without her watching the videos. We have the videos and love them but you really don't need themm to sign with your baby.

new_mommy25
07-26-2004, 07:18 PM
Could you just buy a book and sign to you DD whenever you get the chance? Sign milk, eat, etc to her whenever you say the word and she'll catch on.

August Mom
07-26-2004, 08:04 PM
Actually, Garcia is ASL. His book is worth checking out of the library, but I'm not sure I would buy it. It does have a helpful chart of signs and hand motions. And, you can see the signs performed on-line. You could watch the Signing Times videos yourself and learn the signs. Really, teaching sign language requires you to sign at appropriate times, like when giving milk, sign milk, when you are eating, sign eat, etc. If it's viewing on a TV screen rather than viewing in general that you are concerned about, you can view then on a computer with a CD drive. You also could buy the Signing Times CD and attempt to sign along with the songs yourself.

mum1day
07-26-2004, 09:04 PM
I stand corrected. He is ASL. I was thinking of another author.

I decided to just get the Garcia book.

Thanks, ALL!

Natasha
Mum to Giuliana (3/1/04)