PDA

View Full Version : Angelcare Movement Monitor

bunling
08-03-2004, 09:54 AM
Anyone have or tried Safty 1st's Angelcare Movement Monitor? Is it overkill, even for a first time mom? Would I need another standard monitor?

Thanks.

link:
http://store.babycenter.com/product/nursery/necessities/monitors/3948;jsessionid=MVGAEQNBOOTOCCUAQMMCJBQ?sku=203603

JElaineB
08-03-2004, 11:09 AM
I have a Bebe Sounds Angelcare Movement and Sound monitor, but it looks virtually identical to the one in your link. I love this monitor and would buy it again. I don't use the movement feature any more but it was definitely worth it when DS was younger. I think I got a real alarm once, but I picked DS up and he was fine. I was very glad for the monitor then! However, keep in mind it is not a medical device as it detects movement from breathing but does not measure breathing directly. It does occassionally give false alarms especially when the baby firts becomes mobile and can move to the corner of the crib. You will not need another monitor. If you look at the enlarged picture of the package in your link it says "sound monitor with movement reassurance" or something like that. So it does detect both sound and movement. We have ours set on just sound now and it works fine as a sound monitor.

Here is the same monitor you are considering at BabyAge.com:

http://www.babyage.com/product_details.aspx?productid=2485

It is a little bit cheaper there, though I haven't ordered from them personally.

Here is the monitor I have from BRU (though when I bought mine it only came with one receiver instead of 2 and I paid the same price they are listing it for now - $99. It was still worth it!)

[link:www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000E262S/qid=1091542458/br=1-9/ref=br_lf_ba_9//104-9331483-2664742?v=glance&s=baby&n=540994|Bebe Sounds Angelcare Monitor at BRU]

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

supercalifragilous
08-03-2004, 04:09 PM
We love this monitor. The PP is right - it's not a medical device, but obviously if the baby is not moving/breathing, something is wrong...

It did give off false alarms once DD started moving to the edge of the crib and I just wish they made the sensor pad bigger. And we had more false alarms when we were using the crib wedge (DD has reflux). But overall, it was a great buy and we continue to use it.

The false alarms didn't fully wake up DD but it did arouse her enough to move a little. Once it detects movement, the alarm stops automatically. You can set the sensitivity to make it more/less sensitive to movement. When we had it set on super high, it was detecting movement from the oscillating fan so you have to test it out a little.

Twice when DD was an infant, the alarm went off and kept going off (usually DD fidgets within 5 seconds, making it stop). We went in to check up on her and she was lying really still. I didn't see any chest movement so I put my hand on her and she took in a big gasp of air (kind of like adult sleep apnea), like touching her reminded her to breathe. I don't know what would have happened if we had left her alone and not gone in there but I just felt really thankful for that monitor. Even though it has false alarms (which I believe could be remedied by adjusting the sensitivity by making it more sensitive if the baby's not a heavy breather), I'd rather deal with that than a trip to the ER or worse. It also reminds me to keep up on my infant CPR.

I figure there are lots of high-end monitors you can buy for $100 - this one is a good monitor (I could walk down the block and still get reception) but has the added feature of movement sensor. I actually found my for about $50 at Fred Meyer (50% off sale) and I've seen it at Baby Depot (Burlington Coat Factory) for about $70. Anytime they change the packaging, the old box goes on sale. I've seen them on sale on eBay for really cheap, too.

BRU's brand (Summer's Infant) has one out too and I think it was $20. We hated it and returned it but you could try it out - it's a cheaper option.

All-in-all, I'd rather be safe than sorry and when it comes to my DD's safety, so nothing is overkill in that department.

jamierush
08-03-2004, 05:02 PM
OK I am going to be the first and say I consider it one of those purchases that prey on the natural fears of a first time mom. Now if I had a preemie of a baby with any lung issues, that would be different and I would be buying a more hospital grade product.

But whatever makes you comfortable is what works for you. Personally we returned our monitors after trying 3 different brands, because we were picking up our neighbors. After not having them you just become tunned into hearing your child if they get uncomfortable thru the night or nap.

Good Luck!

dowlinal
08-03-2004, 05:56 PM
I love this moniter. I know that it may be overkill but it lets me sleep at night. Since the moniter tics with the movements I always feel reassured that dd is ok. In the begining I found motherhood to be really overwhelming - I was hormonal, recovering from a c-section, and going through bf hell so anything that made my life easier and let me sleep when I was actually able to sleep was a blessing. I think what it comes down to is what you beleive. If you think this is overkill then get the standard moniter but if you think that this will make you feel reassured then buy it.

ETA - I just realized that I also have the Bebe moniter and not the safety first

stanathan
08-04-2004, 03:42 PM
I also have this monitor and love it. It is very reassuring to be able to go to sleep knowing that your child's breathing is being constantly monitored, especially when the child is sick. I though I didn't need it but when DD was a couple of days old, seeing how little and fragile she was, I rushed ordered it online for a peace of mind.
I got Bebe Sounds rather than Safety First because SF got terrible reviews on amazon. It tends to break down more often, gives you more false alarms or the alarm does not sound at all when you pick up the child from the crib but forget to turn the monitor off.

anutalp
08-08-2004, 12:10 AM
I agree with a PP, love the monitor, still use it (DS is 5 mo). I have a camera and tv near my bed and I can't live without it. Even when we went to Florida on vacation we took it. Best purchase and I'll definitely use it with my next child.

Java
08-08-2004, 02:46 AM
Want to talk overkill? (Is there such a thing with safety and little babies??)

I use the Safety First monitor (got it at Babyage) AND a video monitor. My reasoning is the sound on the video monitor sucks since I use an air purifier as white noise so I turn the sound off (still get picture) and use the sensor for sound and movement.

For me, that's a perfect combination. At 10 months, I now turn off all sound since Kael has developed a habit of talking in his sleep, still use the sensor (just in case) and of course the video.

That said, I still wake up to check in on him (room tempurature, blankets, etc.). Hopefully I'll outgrow that checking urge before he goes to college....