PDA

View Full Version : Questions about table and chair sets

peanut4us
08-04-2004, 03:44 PM
At what age was your child interested in sitting at their own table and chair? Just wondering. We have a small outside chair that Sara adores. And I am beginning to think about getting her a table and chair set. I was going to wait and get it for Christmas, but I'm wondering if I should get it sooner.

What are your favorite brands of tables and chairs? I really don't want to buy anything really ugly, but I also don't want to buy anything that WILL be colored on, picked at, painted on, etc...

smkinc
08-06-2004, 01:20 AM
I can't help--I was just coming online to post the same question. My sister had a great one for her kids that she got at Costco (but that was ~15 years ago). I was wondering if Costco still sells a set and when they usually come out.

Mary
Mom to Jeremiah 2/4/03

August Mom
08-06-2004, 11:23 AM
I think 18 months would have been optimal. My MIL and FIL wanted to buy one for DS at 1 year and I said no. All he wanted to do was climb on the little chairs and stand on them. At around 18-20 months, he really started to enjoy sitting at them in stores.

So, I did an exhaustive search LOL and got a set for his second birthday. I wanted his table to match our cherry furniture and trim. That was hard to find. We finally found a set at Amish Originals. There's a lot of handcrafted furniture in northeastern Ohio.

The brand I was planning to buy was EG. It's Canadian (and recently became part of Dutalier). These tables and chairs are very sturdy and well constructed. They come in lots of finishes, including distressed ones. If you have to order, expect to wait 9-12 weeks. If you want cherry, walnut or cognac finishes, call Babyland in Pittsburgh, PA. That store was running a great sale on the in-stock EG furniture. http://www.babylandpa.com/main/specials.shtml

Kidcraft has some tables. They seemed fine.

Green Frog Art has beautiful handpainted tables, but you might get tense about them being colored on after paying $400.

PJ Kids has brightly colored painted tables and chairs.

You can also go with plastic ones at TRU for around $35.

A lot of local kids furniture stores have tables and chairs as well as unfinished furniture stores.

nitaghei
08-06-2004, 05:32 PM
Joey,
IKEA has a nice little set of a table and 2 chairs in unfinished wood - so you can stain or paint to match your decor. I'm on my way out, but I'll post a link later, if I find one. I saw something in the catalog.
It was really inexpensive, too.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

pritchettzoo
08-06-2004, 07:07 PM
IKEA has some nice options.

If you live near a PBK outlet, check there. We got a beautiful set for a steal.

Anna

masetane
08-08-2004, 09:37 PM
Nicholas is 17 months and wanting to sit at the little table with his sister. I think my daughter was about 18 months too. WE had a set from Babies R Us and the chairs broke in about 1.5 years. They were the windsor chairs and the slats in the back just snapped off. Table is ok but getting pretty messy. So i ordered a table and chair set from Pottery Barn (Carolina). I'm impressed with how sturdy they are and worth the money. Got the painted red chairs and so far they have a few little nicks in the paint but I expected that. Pretty minor for how my daughter beats them up!!! I didn't like IKEA stuff personally - everything i seem to get there falls apart eventually - maybe it's just user error in how I put it together. MY whole first apt was done with IKEA and 5 years later, we have had to replace nearly everything due to the furniture "breaking down". Good price though for short term!!
Caroline
Isabelle 10/1/00
Nicholas 2/27/03

Mom2Miri
08-09-2004, 06:16 PM
Just saw quite a few options on Target.com that lie between IKEA and Pottery Barn Kids in price.

HTH,
Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

snp624
08-09-2004, 07:45 PM
I bought a table and chairs from Target couple of days ago. The quality is not that great, I guess. I had a difficult time assembling. The table was $59 and chairs (set of two) were also $59. But they look pretty good, and I think they will last couple of years. She LOVES to sit at her table! (she is big baby though, 34 inches tall at 18.5 months. She can climb and get off by herself...!) Here are some pics!
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10635.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10636.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10637.jpg