PDA

View Full Version : Micheals Thomas the Train sets

NEVE and TRISTAN
08-07-2004, 11:02 AM
I am not familiar with any Thomas the train characters...for that mater I am not familiar with any charachters at all, I better get on it...
So I have wondered where can I find a list of the Thomas train characters so I can insure that I am getting Tristan all of them (or the main ones)...

ALSO Micheals has 40% off coupons weekly...we pass a Micheals almost everyday without having to go 1/5th of a mile out of the way so I thought I'd collect them now to save for about a year before giving them to him...
Does Micheals carry the full line????

Thank you,
Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
EDD with #2 March 18, 2005
heartbeat and "looking great" so far
Traveling in Jan insearch of the rest of our family-adopting in Ukraine

NEVE and TRISTAN
08-07-2004, 11:07 AM
Ok so I did a search...
Please explain...are all of these cars (a million of them) track compatible...I mean some are airplanes etc... do they all function on the tracks?????
HELP...

http://www.trainsgalore.com/osb/showitem.cfm/Category/26

NEVE and TRISTAN
08-07-2004, 11:17 AM
Do you all buy the sets...this "chocolate factory" looks cute to me
http://www.trainsgalore.com/osb/showitem.cfm/Category/50

Is it best to buy the set???
Is the choclate factory "cool", we must be hip!!! :)

August Mom
08-07-2004, 12:39 PM
We're just getting started on this too, so I'm no expert. But, I picked up a pretty complete Thomas guide at a local independent toy store. If you get some of the books or videos, you'll pretty quickly learn the "main" characters. I would say those are: Engines - Thomas, Percy, James, Gordon, Henry (and possibly Duck); Coaches - Annie and Clarabel; Coal - Troublesome Trucks. There are a lot of fun transporting cars - Aquarium cars, fog cars, log hauling cars, etc.

The Thomas tracks are train tracks on one side and road on the other. So, you can flip it over and make a track of road too for the cars/trucks to operate. The only vehicles that I know are Bertie (red bus) and Harold (helicopter).

From what I understand, some Michaels have Thomas and other don't, although those stores might even have it for Christmas shopping. Michaels does not have the full line. All of the Thomas wooden trains go on the wooden track. The only trains that aren't compatible are Thomas Take Along trains that are die cast (these are available on-line and at Target).

From a recent thread, it sounds like the way to go is to start with a set and add from there. A lot of people recommended a Figure 8 set at first. There was a discussion of this a few days ago in this forum.

As for additional accessories, from what I understand Cranky the Crane is a popular addition but rather expensive.

Good luck!

MelissaTC
08-07-2004, 07:20 PM
You can get a catalog at Learning Express. It has the sets, cars, etc.. and a spot to check off what you already have. A figure 8 is a great place to start. I also recommend getting a battery operated engine. Matthew has a Brio one and loves to watch it go around. We actually started with a Brio Figure 8 Mountain set that we picked up at Oopsie Daisy when Debbie was having a 30% off sale. I then bought more track at TRU, purchasing the Figure Expansion set. Matthew runs everything on these tracks, including the Thomas Take Along set from Target and his Matchbox/Hot Wheels cars. His imagination takes over and it is a free for all on those tracks. :)

Good luck!

nigele
08-07-2004, 09:12 PM
Neve,

Since you already know you want to buy a lot of Thomas, I would definitely go for a large set to start, especially if you can get it at Michael's with a discount. We started with a Battery Operated Figure 8 set and have added a lot of pieces here and there. It's worked fine for us but I almost wish we had gone with a big set since Tom likes them so much! The chocolate factory set looks very cool!

I don't know if Michael's carries the full line since our local store doesn't have them at all but our A.C. Moore does and they do NOT carry the full line. I would assume Michael's doesn't either.

lukkykatt
08-07-2004, 09:24 PM
Neve, most people start out with a track set and some trains and then add from there. You can get the characters that you, and later on T, like the most - some of the characters are less well known, so you wouldn't have to have them unless T takes a liking to any of them. Same thing for the accessories - you can add bridges, clock towers, tunnels, repair stations, etc. as you find them. We never use everything at the same time, so as long as you have some variety, that is great and then you can keep adding on as you find things.

Don't forget that Marshall's and Tuesday Morning also have Thomas/Brio sets and pieces, so keep your eyes out while you are there. Be warned though that once I got a Thomas piece at Marshall's and when I opened it (months later) there was a bunch of non-Thomas mismatched stuff in the box. Now if I see anything at Marshall's, I always look in the box to make sure that it contains what is supposed to be there.

Their favorite pieces are the clock tower, the ticket station, the Curious George Zoo and the drawbridge, fyi.

Momof3Labs
08-07-2004, 09:45 PM
Buy one train and open the package - it has a little pocket-sized guide inside where you can check off the ones that you already have. The road vehicles work on the train track also (or you can flip it over for a roadway), though the airplanes and anything else without wheels will not work on the tracks or roadway.

Colin personally recommends Henry, but likes them all at one time or another - we have a blast taking him shopping every so often and letting him pick out a new train (he takes it very seriously).

pamela mom of 3
08-07-2004, 10:39 PM
Pretty sure their is a Thomas site... we have TONS of the stuff..brio is also blended in ;)

Found the site!
http://www.learningcurve.com/ourProducts/thomas.asp

I know at our "local" toystore, they have a product catalog which really helps for sorting through all the stuff.

Someone mentioned Cranky the crane, yep he's a neat one and durable, they have some nice tunnels too and engine sheds, water tower.. anyhow the above site will show you all of it, lifetime warranty too!

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppstrollers

kalebsmama
08-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Neve,
Like others have said, you can get a catalog at your local toy store. I also got one at Learning Express.

Kaleb started with the figure 8 set last Christmas (22.5months) and Grandma gave him the figure 8 expansion set. Then, for b-day, Easter etc. we've given him another engine or something. He has a couple of DVD's that he watches, and those are the characters that he is the most familiar with. The basic ones that Chanda mentioned are in most stories, and other ones are seen depending on what you watch. I've been choosing things based on what he knows from the DVD's and books that we have.

Some days our track doesn't even have trains on it - K likes to drive his matchbox cars on it too!

Have fun! DH thinks I like the trains as much as DS (or more!) since he has caught me a couple of times re-arranging the track after DS is in bed!

jubilee
08-07-2004, 11:55 PM
With so many interested people, is this screaming CO-OP??? :)

MelissaTC
08-08-2004, 04:14 PM
LOL...I WISH!!! DS's obsession is going to put us in the poorhouse!

NEVE and TRISTAN
08-08-2004, 07:51 PM
I have approached Debbie...she is discussing it with her hubby and said she'd call me back. I think he is the number cruncher in the business so usually he is the one who decides if it will work or not...

But I think it would be wonderful!!!
Lets cross our fingers!!!!