PDA

View Full Version : Which is your 1 yr old's favorite Einstein

pixelprincess
08-13-2004, 02:02 AM
DS loves Neptune and am thinking of getting a couple more for variety and would like some recommendations.

Is it a bit too late to get any more DVDS? He is a visual baby if that helps and I can get them for a bargain too from someone I know.

thanks.

akc
08-13-2004, 02:18 AM
Hi there -

First off, it is absolutely not too late to get any more DVD's. My 25 mo old DD is still watching them, but we layered them in over time depending on her interests. And, if your DS is really visual they are fabulous to take into the real world as you match the video images to things in your house, outside in the neigborhood, on trips (parks/zoos,aquariums), and then colors/words/numbers when he's older. We even have the flash cards and play a "real life" matching game where we take the apple card w/us and go apple picking. Or, pick a number (now that she's 2) and go around the streets finding that number on signs, etc. I hate to give all my money to someone, but I think the Einstein world has been invaluable to us.

OK, here goes:

At 1, she was REALLY, REALLY, REALLY into the World Animals DVD. It has incredible visuals and then even has sounds and cards in the back that are fun for them to watch and imitate. There is a Neighborhood Animals one too - it's ok. Was never as fun for her as the World Animals - didn't have as many songs and sounds. They have puppets and skits and Disney animal footage (no surprise there) - I highly recommend it!

There are also the big animals flash cards - I am absolutely against trying to "teach" your kids with flashcards but the pictures are great and fun for them to look at. We also took them to the zoo and played with them there in front of the animals, so then she took the animals home with her!

At 1 1/2, she got into Old McDonald and farm animals. WE picked back up the neigborhood animals (which has farm animals for some reason) and then Baby McDonald. We could sing Old McDonald together then, go to a farm nearby where she could see chickens, cows, etc. IT is a more sophisticated video IMO - I found it to be a little boring, but she loved it.

At 2, she is into Baby Van Gogh b/c of its emphasis on colors. She is going through the intellectual learning of "sorting" things into colors and we go through her toys, our house/furniture, nature outside and match them with colors.

Maeve is incredibly advanced verbally so I feel fine with all the scare media that says that babies shouldn't be watching any tv. We always limited to only 1 BE a day, if even that, and often it was our "wind down" time at the end of the day. She would amaze us by picking up behaviors in the video and imitating them when she was really young and then progressing to starting to internalize the words on the video within a day or two.

I think if you space out the BE based on your son's interest, they are still quite valuable. The folks I see that have kids that are so "over" them are b/c they had all 6 or so and they never really cared much about what they watched.

Hope that helps!

Alexa

Phx115
08-13-2004, 01:18 PM
My son really loves Baby Van Gogh! Unfortunately, our DVD player is broken (I wonder who jammed it up LOL), so we he seems to now enjoy Neighborhood Animals (VHS). He doesn't seem to be as interested in Baby Mozart, Bach and Beethoven as much any more. Baby Neptune gets his attention for a bit, but then he kind of moves on.

My son also loves a certain Barney tape that he has seen since he was about 4 months old. It is so cute now b/c he gets up and dances around with the songs. Sorry for the tangent.

Kristy
DS Eric 5-28-03

pixelprincess
08-13-2004, 03:05 PM
Thanks Kristy and Alexa.

I decided to get Van Gogh since I am an artist/designer...thought i'd enjoy it if not him. LOL.

Alexa, I was going to get Galileo, but am going to see if she can switch it to World Animals based on your feedback. Thanks for your feedback on tv watching too. With all the studies suggesting no TV before 2 yrs, I was concerned about exposing DS to it and being rather strict about his viewing it. He seems a lot more interested in watching anything on TV now, than a few months ago where only BE excited him...which is a bit worrysome. Our pedi said it was ok to watch Sesame Street so I let him for a bit in the am (lets me shower). I don't like Barney (sorry, Kristy), but imagine may end up getting one of the tapes eventually.

jpang
08-13-2004, 03:21 PM
OK, Lena's not quite one yet, but her favorite Baby Einstein hands down is Baby Van Gogh. Such gorgeous colors. She also smiles at the kids now, as if she recognizes them. LOL

Momof3Labs
08-13-2004, 04:12 PM
Colin still loves Baby Einstein, though his favorites change. In the last several months, he's loved Baby Shakespeare, Baby Van Gogh and Baby Neptune. Baby McDonald has been a favorite for quite a while, too. Today he was pretty intrigued with World Animals, too.

amp
08-16-2004, 11:49 AM
Jake's favorites are the ones with animals...Baby Dolittle Neighborhood Animals (and World Animals a little bit less) and Baby MacDonald. I'm considering Baby Neptune, because he loves water, but DH keeps asking, "Does he really need more baby einstein?"

pixelprincess
08-16-2004, 11:55 AM
thanks again. seems like van gogh is quite popular. i ended up getting van gogh, neighborhood and world animals.

btw, how long do you let your babies watch BE?

andrea, we have neptune and DS LOVES it and so do it!! i wondered if he needed any more, but am getting tired of watching the two he has...LOL. Neptune has awesome aquarium footage in the extras.