PDA

View Full Version : 18-24 month olds...what do they play with??

millerpjm
08-13-2004, 10:09 AM
Hey everyone...I'm just wondering what your kids play with. DS is 18 months old and doesn't seem interested in a lot of his indoor toys. I am thinking they may be too young for him now. He loves to be outside, but we cannot be outside 24/7. So, my question is, what are your 18-24 months old's favorite indoor toys? Any ideas would be great. Thanks!

Jennifer

Proud mama to Thomas 2/3/03

pl71
08-13-2004, 10:36 AM
My DS is only 16 months, but his favorite indoor toys seems to be his FP stride-to-ride, as a scooter. He puts toys in the basket and rides the scooter around the house. He also likes to play the music on it and then dance. Another toy he seems to like is the toddler size vacuum cleaner they have at daycare. All the 1-2 years olds in his class seems to love that, they fight over it.

Other than those toys, he just runs laps around my kitchen island.

I'd say anything that allows him to stay in motion!

-Patty

LucyG
08-13-2004, 02:32 PM
My DD is a couple of weeks younger than your son, and she LOVES her doll stroller right now. I don't think it's so much that it's a stroller, but that she can put things in it and push it around the house. Maybe he would like a toy lawn mower, or shopping cart with some plastic food? My DD will pile her sippy cup, a doll, a book, a dog bone, and anything else she can fit into the stroller, and then push it all over the house. She's gotten good at turning corners, and we have fewer collisions now!

missym
08-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Gwen is 17 months, and her favorite "toy" for months now has been an empty Prego box from Sam's club. It's a table, it's a car, it's a throne... you get the idea. She does play with her other toys, but she plays with the box the most. It's starting to get a little ragged; time for another trip to Sam's!

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/10967.jpg

mattysmom
08-13-2004, 03:55 PM
DS turns 18 months next week and he is just beginning to enjoy imaginary play. He loves to feed his stuffed animals with spoons and use dishes too. Balls are a huge favorite - even inside and he's also really enjoying anything that has wheels (cars, trains, trucks). Like you, DS would prefer to be outside all day, but it's been so humid that it's oppresive.

Momof3Labs
08-13-2004, 04:15 PM
Anything with wheels - cars, trucks, Thomas trains. Wooden peg puzzles are good for this age. Books, books and more books. We have a giant floor puzzle that has intrigued Colin for a few months. We have to put it together with his help, but some days he'll play with the pieces for an hour. He likes his magnetic peek-a-doors by Melissa and Doug, too.

lisams
08-13-2004, 05:45 PM
DD is 21 months, and these are her favorites:

Little people farm (or any little people set for that matter)
trains and train set
plastic animals
play kitchen and play food
dolls and doll accessories
anything she can push or pull, particularly her doll stroller
blocks

ETA:
play dough
paint with water type books
coloring (crayons, markers, colored pencils)

HTH!
Lisa

tippy
08-14-2004, 03:31 AM
You've already gotten some great suggestions but wanted to share this with you. It's funny you should post this since I just finished reading a printout from My baby this week (the babycenter) from 18 months. It said:

"You can practically see the lightbulb go on when your toddler first figures out how to fit the pieces of a puzzle together." "Simple puzzels, nesting blocks, and stacking toys not only draw on your child's mental resources, but they help refine his fine-motor skills (which untill now have probably taken a back seat to more physical activities like running and climbing). While your toddler will continue to burst with energy, he's also more interested in sitting still longer, especially when there's a problem to be solved"

That being said, dh is way more into his shape sorters now. I also second anything with wheels, and he really likes his Fisher price incrediblock. Books are a biggie in our house.

For the really hot and humid days I try and take him to our local Barnes and Nobel. They have a great childrens department with a train table and story time. HTH

Lucia
08-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Here are a few things my 18 month old enjoys doing:

*shape sorter
*riding his little wooden trike (great indoors and out)
*balls and bubbles
*roll-a-ball house
*books...especially the "I spy" series
*magnets (on our fridge and magnet board)
*magna doodle and coloring with crayons
*anything with wheels
*stacking and knocking down block towers

Hope this helps! Have fun trying new things out together. Perhaps making a trip to a local kids museum will give some other ideas and inspiration.

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003