PDA

View Full Version : High end playsets - worth the $$$?

vikivoly
08-18-2004, 02:10 AM
We are looking at buying an outdoor playset for DD. I really don't want it until next Spring, but I understand now is the best time to shop for deals. For those of you with high-end playsets (Rainbow, Cedarworks, etc.) are they worth the money? ...really worth it? They are easily 4x the cost of the typical sets you see at TRU or Lowe's, will we get 4x the use? We are not wealthy, so it would be a huge investment for us. However, if I felt we would be getting that much more use, I think it would be worth it. Do kids really play on these sets when they are 6, 7, 8 yrs old? My brothers' have the typical Eagle's Nest sets that Lowe's carries and their kids don't (and never really did) play on them. Now I could see them getting all excited to come to our house to play on our big, expensive set, but if it was in their backyard everyday, would they be as excited?

I realize that durability and safety come into play, but I wouldn't be willing to invest that much more based soley on those two factors.

If you have a more economical set, do you wish you would have paid the extra money for the high end set? Would I be better to get a cheaper set and put my money into cool accesories?

When is the best time to buy the Rainbow & Cedarworks sets? I received a recent flier that the Rainbows were 30% off during the month of July and Cedarworks is currently running a 10% off sale. If I wait until October or later, will the deals get more tempting?

dmhccs
05-26-2005, 11:13 PM
hello,

I know what you mean. I was recently shocked at the prices of these playsets. we ended up buying a Rainbow playset and it was 35% off. I don't know where u live but the sale is only for the memorial day weekend. the place is in PA and it's called Sheds N'More. I know, it doesn't sound like the type of place where you can spend $4,000 on a playset but they are having a sale. hope that helps.

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-27-2005, 01:36 AM
We got ours at Costco ON LINE...(not the one in the store)...and it has three slides and came to right over $3,000 and took a good 12 hours plus to assemble.

It has two levels of smaller forts (which appear to be plenty for the boys)...but the three slides sealed the deal for us, a wave one, a very steep one, and a curly one.

I couldn't live without it they love it so much!!!!
I assume it is "high end" it was the nicest one I saw as I looked around, but the three slides were why I bought it there were forts of others that I liked better but have no regrets...

I no nothing about the sales...sorry :(
Good luck I know it is obsessive research when you get there...

Edited to add I just bought a used one that was in the paper for $100 I offered her $150 since she got so many calls. It is very simple with a smaller wave slide and two swings, trapeze for our beach bunglow we bought...but when we pulled up the boys ran to it with the same energy as their fancy one...
Neve
Reichen (6), Karsh (3), Tristan (2) and baby girl Bronwyn born March 10th!!!!

mykidzmom
05-27-2005, 07:50 AM
We have a rainbow playset, and it has definitely been worth the money!! Our kids play on it everyday. They are extremely well made. I don't think you would be sorry if you purchased it.

rclasco
05-27-2005, 06:55 PM
We are looking at playsets as well. Leaning towards the Cedarworks over Rainbow since they don't have to be sanded & stained. How do you get 10% off? Is it automatic or is there a coupon?

Thanks,
Regina