PDA

View Full Version : Photo help

bchafin
08-18-2004, 08:35 AM
I need some advice on where to go to have my DS photo taken. There is a Picture People, Sears, and JC Penney in my local mall. Which would you choose and why? Or, is there another option that I don't know about? TIA for any help.

Barb

Jen in Chicago
08-18-2004, 09:17 AM
We have had GREAT luck with Sears. Use a coupon that does not charge you for a sitting fee.

MinnieMouse
08-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Picture People hands down....we had two HORRID experiences at Sears. You definitely get the best bang for your buck quality wise at Picture People. They almost always have a coupon online (http://www.picturepeople.com).

We have LOVED pictures from every single visit there. Bethany is 3yo and I think we've been there about 10x already.

Edited to add photo.

This is a shot from Picture People...Beth was about 7.5mo.

Christine

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/11276.jpg

vlslusher
08-18-2004, 09:56 AM
I have used all three and prefer penneys. sears just recently changed their coupons to allow the package to be from any pose, it used to be just from the first pose. i don't know where you can get a coupon for them without a sitting fee. penney's on the other hand almost always has a coupon with no sitting fee. picture people is a crap shoot to me, i think the turnover in photographers at my studio is part of the problem. at sears and penneys there is an instant "proof" on the screen and pictures can be discarded if your child is not looking or doing something really unappealing. picture people cannot do that - i have many times gone and just left with my free picture as there has not really been anything worth spending my money on.

that said, i have had the best luck with penneys. i have had the portrait club plans at all three places and still prefer penneys. (actually i think consumer reports preferred them too.)

just make sure to get the first appt in the morning so that you have no wait as all the places get behind!

MinnieMouse
08-18-2004, 11:33 AM
Could be that the reason we are so happy with Picture People is that I don't think there is a high turnover at ours. We've even had one photographer that does most of Beth's sittings. Last time we were there she looked through my wallet...I remember that one, and this one...oh this was a really great shot.. LOL.

We've really been happy there.

Conversely...the Sears people were all young (as in barely in high school?) and extremely inexperienced. When Beth was 3mo the photographer couldn't understand when I explained that Beth wasn't old enough to look to where sound was coming from. UGH! That coupled with the fact that we had to opt for the one shot where she didn't cut one of Beth's limbs off in the photo brings us back to Picture People again and again. We did try to give Sears another chance...went to a different one and got a somewhat better photographer...but all the prints when we got them back were distorted colorwise. It made the pictures look like I played with them in Photoshop.

We consistently get great prints and great shots at Picture People. With their "club" and the coupons I probably end up spending about the same amount of $$ for what I buy.

Christine

divabell
08-18-2004, 04:38 PM
From reading lots of threads on this topic, I've gathered that they vary widely. Sears can be great in one place (I went there once and was quite happy) but horrible somewhere else. I would try to ask people in your area if they have any experience with specific places and even specific photographers at those places.

Target also has photography in some locations and they seem to have coupons in the Sunday paper a lot.

vlslusher
08-18-2004, 05:06 PM
target photography studio is run by the same company that does penneys - seems the biggest difference is in the props/backgrounds

but i do agree that where you should go varies by where you live. all it takes is a good photographer to make the place

Pleco Mommy
08-18-2004, 07:38 PM
FORGET SEARS, unless you've heard different in your area.
I am new Mommy in Brooklyn, NY and have only used Sears. Horrible experience! Next time I will pay more for convenience and timeliness. The Photo shop was VERY busy and only had 2 Cashier/Photographer/receptionists. I went in at 3:15 was told I could have 4:00 appt. so I said ok and shopped a little. Well by 4: 30 I am asking howe many people ahead of me, am told 2. OK, 2 photographers, 2 people not bad. Little did I realize that meant I would not be taken til after 6:00. Think I might've been passed over there(?. The only reason I stayed so long was because I figured how much longer could it be? Baby was alert from 3:00 til about 6:00 then fell asleep before being taken. Needless to say it was nearly impossible to get the smiles & alertness back that I had seen in waiting room. The "photographers" did the pictures in between taking phone calls, taking care of pick ups and helping people decide on photo pkgs. my shoot being last on list. So 3 1/2 hours out of my day not worth the few saved dollars, pics are ok, but could've been much better if taken sooner. To Sears: Hire a receptionist !!!!

julierobin
08-18-2004, 08:55 PM
Hi Barb -- What city do you live in? Maybe someone on the BB can direct you to a specific place in your town they have had luck with.

I think every studio is going to be different -- so much depends on the photographer.

Julie, Mommy to Ben 8/7/03
and Baby #2 EDD 1/05

Rikkele
08-21-2004, 01:01 AM
Just had pics taken today at Kiddie Korner at BRU. It was a great experience and the photos are adorable! Was very impressed with photographers ability to get DD to smile as she is only 3 mo and smiles unpredictably. I have several friends who have had their babies' pics taken there and they have all turned out great.

pixelprincess
08-21-2004, 03:07 AM
Barb,
I haven't had luck with Sears too. It seems that with all the million deals they offer, they are super busy and unable to manage their clients. My first pic with DS was the best at 3m and it has been downhill for the next two. My friend had some great pics from Penny's...their backgrounds seem nicer too, IMO. you can always try both with a coupon and see what you like without getting sucked into the membership. Wherever you go it is going to be the photographer that will make the difference. If you want to try Sears I might have some coupons if you are interested.

Another thing I would suggest is to tap into your local resources for professional photographers. They may cost more but you'll have wonderful memories forever (wish i had...now DS won't sit still!)

ps. loved your murals!! did you paint them yourself?? can you pm me so i can pick your brain? thnx.

zen_bliss
08-21-2004, 03:46 AM
you can get the great coupons for no sitting fees in parents/parenting, etc magazines. i haven't tried picture people since they only do the free 8 x 10, and for the effort involved in getting there, i want a whole package. and i'm cheap.

i wish i'd figured out this strategy earlier -- work the coupons. go to the mall and get pics done at both penneys & sears the same day (or have another session the same week), just get the $7.99 package instead of spending $60 getting the $3.99 per sheet prints for all the relatives. you have to go back 2 weeks (!) later to pick them up anyway, might as well get more than one.

the photographers are mostly not great. go in knowing exactly what you want (pose, background, props, framing) and you stand a better chance of having something you like. they generally tend to take the pics too wide so there's too much wasted dead space.

the printing quality from sears is TERRIBLE. yellow skin tones, blown out white background. this is the second time, so it's definitely the lab. i just employed my new strategy, and the difference between penneys & sears pics is shocking. the sears pics, in addition to the poor color, have an overall flatness. penneys for us from now on!

bchafin
08-21-2004, 09:24 AM
Thanks to everyone for all of their suggestions and tips. I just love these boards! I think I have decided to give Picture People a try. A friend had a bad session there, but they offered to redo it for free another day and that one was better. I guess it is all relative to where you live (I live in southern MD near Bethesda by the way). If I have a bad time of it, I may look into prof. photographers. Thanks for the compliment on Devin's room. I am really happy with how it turned out. I did paint it myself and it was lots of fun. Just send me an e-mail if you have any questions or need advice on getting started.(Can you get my e-mail from these boards?) This is all new to me, but I love it.

Thanks again everyone!
Barb
PS. I'm probably going to have his pict done in his new Gymbo outfit. The Layette board worked me up to the point that I had to run right out and use my COF coupon and get my Gymbucks! They are a dangerous group, but lots of fun.

tippy
08-21-2004, 11:29 PM
The picture people in my area is hit or miss. I've had some good pics but some really bad one's too where I didn't take any of my pics home and had to come back for a re-take. (more of a pain than you can imagine). My friend recently went to BRU and had a great experience there. Unlike PP you don't have to wait an hour for your pics to be "developed". I think I will try them next time.

pixelprincess
08-22-2004, 01:20 AM
Teva,
hate to tell you...but BRU picture quality sucks! So there is a reason you aren't waiting to get your pics to be developed. As they don't in the normal E-6 negative processing method...what they are giving you are digital print outs...sorta like the Santa pics in the mall. They seem to have some decent photographers so it's too bad they can't do standard developing.

how are you?? and AJ?

jvorhis
08-24-2004, 03:24 PM
We do JC Penny and have had good luck with them so far. I just get the 7.99 package and sometimes get the 3 extra sheets they send you when you go to pick up your pictures. We did Sadies (www.sadiesonline.com) for DD newborn pics and they turned out awesome. They are a lot more expensive but worth it for special occasions. The first pic is her sadies newborn and the next two are JC Penny 6 and 12 months

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/11854.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/11855.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/11857.jpg

bchafin
08-24-2004, 05:10 PM
I love the picts! Your DD is beautiful. Thanks for posting!
Barb

Rikkele
08-24-2004, 11:50 PM
That's why it's better to have your pics processed at their central lab in Salt Lake City, UT. You have to wait about 2 wks but the quality is much better!