PDA

View Full Version : Exersaucer Fact Question: Damaging to Developing Leg Muscles?

JMS
08-21-2004, 08:59 AM
Hi everyone..
DD loves her exersaucer. But a friend told me that if they spend too much time in there, it's not good for their legs. She didn't have any more specific info. Does anyone know anything about this???
I generally think she is in there 2 or 3 times a day for about 10-15 minutes a time. I don't like to leave her in there too long anyway b/c I start to feel guilty that I should be playing with her instead. But it's a lifesaver when I'm making dinner (it's in the kitchen) or cleaning, etc.
I'm actually thinking of also getting the FP Deluxe Jumperoo b/c we went to a friend's house and DD LOVED it.. but it's basically the same thing as far as the legs are concerned.

TIA!

pritchettzoo
08-21-2004, 10:22 AM
If you do some searches on exersaucer and safety or leg or some such, you'll find lots of old threads with opinions both ways. I wouldn't leave your baby in anything for a long period of time, but 10-15 minutes is about how long we let DD play in hers, and it was also about the length of her interest in the toy too.

Anna

JLiebCamm
08-22-2004, 09:44 PM
I'm a PT and learned alot about the detrimental effect of exersaucers and the like in school. The problem is that the seats of these things have a sling-like effect and do not allow for proper development of the pelvic musculature. Even if your baby is putting weight through their legs, their postural muscles aren't kicking in and doing their job of keeping baby upright because of the suspension in the seat. Standing with arm support (at the coffee table, at the couch, etc) is much better for developing the muscles that are crucial to standing balance and walking.

THAT BEING SAID.......I used both an exersaucer and a jumperoo with my DS. He has strong little legs and can run up and down hills now! The key is just to use them in moderation. 10-15 minutes is not going to harm your child in any way. As long as she has ample time during the day to bear weight through her legs outside of the saucer she'll have no problems! I can totally appreciate needing a safe place to put your DD for short periods of time and I think you're on the right track with the way that you've handled it thus far.

Buffys Mommy
08-27-2004, 01:33 AM
I've heard comments about not using saucers too but DD is 10 months and is practically running already. She's loved hers since 4 months and is just now starting to hate it as she would rather be running around and not confined by anything.

Tammie
Sarah Michelle 10/13/03

twizzli
08-27-2004, 12:35 PM
related question...
I've heard from different friends with no medical training that 1) kids should be on their tippytoes in exersaucers and 2) kids should be able to put their feet flat on the bottom...(this is for height adjustable saucers)
Anyone know which is correct?

StaceyKim
08-28-2004, 06:36 PM
I am pretty sure that they are NOT supposed have their feet flat on the saucers. It should say right on the seat part of the saucer though.

JElaineB
08-28-2004, 09:16 PM
The directions that came with my "stationary entertainer" (not an Exersaucer brand one) said their feet should be flat and they should NOT be on tippy toes. My understanding is that walking on tippy toes too much is a bad thing for physical development. We always had DS's feet flat on the exersaucer when we starting using is at 6 months. He walked at 10.5 months so it did not negatively impact his development at all.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

kijip
08-28-2004, 10:59 PM
The tippy toe instructions come from jumpers, not saucers. In jumpers if they can get their feet all the way to the floor they can get a running start and crash into the wall. At least that was the explaination offered by Graco's instuctions. So tip toes in jumpers...