PDA

View Full Version : Pack and Play?

jgcohen
08-23-2004, 02:20 PM
For what purposes do people use their P&Ps? My dh and I are moving soon after the baby is born and are having her crib delivered to our new home. We are curious is we will only use the P&P for her bassinet or will we use it after?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

jslatch
08-23-2004, 02:35 PM
Hi,
I thought I'd use ours a lot more than we really do. We have ours in a different part of the house, so we use it if we want to be there and the baby needs a nap (he is now 5 mos old and too heavy for the bassinet part already). We did use ours on a weekend trip away, and that worked really well. So I am still glad that we have it, but I thought it would be do-or-die item, and it's not.

Good luck with the move!

amp
08-23-2004, 04:04 PM
In the early days, we used the PNP as a place for DS to nap on the lower level of our house. I couldn't do stairs as often as he napped (due to CSection) so it was invaluable. We used it in the living room for 6 mths just for the convenience of napping him when he fell asleep (no napping schedule for this kid until he was 4-6 mths old!) When he outgrew the weight limits on the bassinet portion, we just lowered the mattress to the play yard area and used it.

Now we use it for traveling. He sleeps in it whenever we travel.

hobey
08-23-2004, 05:00 PM
We use ours primarily for travel. We have it set up at home as a ball pit and DS spends less than 10 minutes a day in it. He much prefers to roam freely. :)

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

kijip
08-23-2004, 06:25 PM
We used it as sole bassinet and changing station for Toby until he was 3-4 months old. Then we used it at Grandma's sans bassinet (just as a changer and a playyard/crib) until he turned 7 months and made it clear that he was not interested in being in it any longer. We sold it but now that we are expecting again we may just up and buy a 3 in 1 PNP again.

sadie427
08-23-2004, 06:44 PM
We used it almost daily--put the ball pit balls in it around 7 mo till around 11 mo, then took the balls out but still put him in it for 10-15 minutes around once a day so he could play safely while we're cooking or whatever, until recently when I just haven't put it up since we put it away for a party. And we still use it as a travel crib. I think it's a good thing to have.

stillplayswithbarbies
08-23-2004, 11:35 PM
at 17 months we still use ours daily (nightly). At first it was used as a place to nap downstairs and a changing table. Then when she outgrew the SnuggleNest in our bed, we brought it up to our room for sleeping in at night. Just this week we have moved her to the crib in her room.

It also goes with us on trips as checked luggage for sleeping in away from home. Also we use it outside when we are doing things in the yard and need to keep her contained but with us.

I'd say it's one of the most useful and necessary pieces of baby equipment.

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

macassi
08-24-2004, 12:26 AM
With my first two, I used it as a bassinet for a few months in our room and then for travel. Abbie uses it daily. In fact, we gained possession of a second one so that we would have one upstairs and downstairs. She likes to play in it and be "protected" from her older brothers, and I prefer to have her in it while I shower upstairs, as I never know when an older sibling will come by and open my bedroom door (we used to just close the door with the first two and know the room was child safe). We also use it outside -- sometimes she'll play in under a tree while we do something without her.

Rikkele
08-25-2004, 12:21 AM
We have not used ours at all up to this point even though it is sitting in the family room. Hopefully we will get some use out of it later to give her a lick-free area to play away from the dogs :)

mudder17
08-25-2004, 08:00 PM
We used it in the first couple months in our den, so that she would have a place to sleep (bassinet) while we were in there reading, watching tv, surfing the web, etc. Then we used it for travel (3 airplane trips) and it worked really well. She's just outgrown the bassinet feature and we sort of use it for her to play in, but she doesn't like being enclosed when she plays, and I don't want her to learn it's a place to play anyway, because we're going to continue using it as a place for her to sleep when we travel (3 more airplane trips so far)!

Eileen

Mother of Beautiful Kaya
born 22 February 2004

http://lilypie.com/baby1/050222/2/16/0/+10/.png

http://www.gynosaur.com/assets/ribbons/ribbon_garnet_6m.gif Breastfed 6 months and counting

http://www.chemicalgraphics.com/kaya

ett
08-26-2004, 10:31 PM
DS slept in the bassinet which was in our bedroom until he outgrew it at 3 months. For a while, we also used it for naps. Also used it for sleeping on 2 trips. DS is 1 year old now and we use it mostly now for containing DS when we need to do something quick. I'd say it was one of our most useful purchases.

lisams
08-27-2004, 02:34 AM
We've used it much more than I ever thought:

Newborn stage - kept it downstairs for naps and changing station

6 months and up - Kept it in our bathroom area and would place her in it so I could get ready in the morning while she watched Sesame Street. I knew she was safe in there and not getting into trouble! It's nice to have a safe place to plop them in if you get in a bind when they get mobile!

Also, when we are watching other babies at our house they take naps in it.

Good to have for travel also!

Lisa