PDA

View Full Version : 14 mo old who loves trucks

gavinsmom
08-25-2004, 09:56 AM
My 14 mo old DS recently starting liking trucks. He makes the vroom sound while he plays and every car that passes on the road is a "truck" to him. We have the LP bus as well as the Ramps around garage. Does anyone have any recommendations for other truck/vehicle type toys for his age?

slknight
08-25-2004, 11:10 AM
DS really likes his Little Tikes handle hauler dump truck. There are several others in the "handle hauler" line as well:

http://www.littletikes.com/toyfinder/default.asp?URL=/toyfinder/products.asp?category=3&C=CAT

Karenn
08-25-2004, 12:31 PM
If you have a Big Lots near you, they are selling the LP tow truck set that goes nicely with the garage. DS ended up with two tow trucks and he loves carring both of them around and sending them down the ramp. I *think* they were selling it for around $4.99.

August Mom
08-25-2004, 03:51 PM
I really like the LT Handle Haulers. DS has been so so about ours, though (the semi).

Here is a thread with some other options. http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=12&topic_id=21230&mesg_id=21230&listing_type=search The Parents cars are really cute. They are soft and rubbery and at least some of them rattle. The Tonka Jr. trucks are cute. If your child still likes to mouth things, I would go with the dump truck and the 4x4. The firetruck and loader have some smaller parts that could, at least in theory, break off. The Playskool Rumblin trucks are a Target exclusive. I think they would be fine for a 14 month old. I just wasn't sure about durability because the string that makes them rumble seemed to stick at times when we were playing with them in the package. DS seemed to like them, though.

There are lots of LP sets that would work. DS has a demolition set with a truck with wrecking ball and a wall with dynamite. I know there is another similar construction set. Also (and I would never have thought of this had DS not received it for his birthday) the LP Surprise Sounds Fun Park is great if your little guy likes to send cars down ramps (like mine does). The roller coaster has a really steep hill with a car that he loves.

People also gave DS matchbox cars at around 18 months. They are okay, but you need to watch them carefully. He had one with a spoiler than was stepped on. The spoiler detached. He could have choked on it if he'd been inclined to put it in his mouth. Similarly, the wheels are small.

HTH