PDA

View Full Version : Geotrax trains

Katie_Lanouette
08-26-2004, 07:10 PM
Hello.

Does anyone have this train set for their little one? If so can you give me some feedback. Do you think Geotrax would be better for a younger child than the Thomas or Brio trains, because the trains are bigger and it is plastic.

TIA
Katie Mom to Sam 9/03

Momof3Labs
08-26-2004, 09:43 PM
No, definitely not. Geotrax, IMO, are better for older kids - 2.5-3 and up. Older kids will do better leaving the train on the track (or replacing it properly when it derails) since the idea of the Geotrax is to let the battery operated train run around the track (and that's about it for a younger child). Since Thomas and Brio are baby-powered, it is no biggie if the trains come off the tracks - the game can continue without mommy having to jump in and help. Colin has been happily playing with his Thomas trains since he was 15 months old, and they are still by far his favorite toy!!

Katie_Lanouette
08-27-2004, 08:51 AM
Thank You Lori,

We got my son Sam the costco train table for his first birthday because he was playing with the trains at the toy stores. He love to stand up at a table and play. But the trains that came with the set fall over easy because they have a high slope ramp that is not very sturdy. I would think even a 3 year old would knock down the tracks pretty easily. So I want to get him a better train set than the one it came with. I think I will try a Thomas starter set. By the way. The table is great. Worth the money!
Katie Mom to Sam 9/03

Momof3Labs
08-27-2004, 10:43 AM
Try something like the Thomas figure 8 set - that's what we started with. There is one bridge, but it is pretty sturdy and not too easy to knock over.

Katie_Lanouette
08-27-2004, 07:24 PM
Lori,

Funny you should post the above. I went to A.C. Moore today with a 40% off coupon and got him the figure 8 starter set. This is much beeter than what the table came with. The bridge and track are much more stable. DS is only 11 months but he loves the trains. HE has trboulwe getting them on the track but if Mommy puts them on for him he loves to push them over the hill. It will only be a matter of time when he can do it himself.

Thanks,

Katie Mom to Sam 9/03

sarsah
08-28-2004, 11:45 PM
My DH is 4 and got the GeoTrax train for Christmas last year (he was 3 1/2). We got it to replace the Fisher Price flip track railway we had that never stayed together. DS absolutely loves his GeoTrax. We also have Thomas trains and track and he loves those too. I think GeoTrax is better for an older child -- at least 3 years old. I also have a 15 month old and all he wants to do is take apart the GeoTrax pieces or pick up the trains when they are moving.

Sarah.......mom to Jason & Devin

megulis
08-30-2004, 12:50 PM
>My DH is 4

I think your dh is a little young to have two kids! ;)