PDA

View Full Version : so since we have so many babies approaching their first bdays...

s_gosney
08-29-2004, 12:11 AM
I thought that maybe we could bounce gift ideas off one another. I'm busy trying to compile a list here and I'm not sure about too much. I know we want some musical toys and I got some good ideas from the other post on that. Maybe an incrediblock? Can't decide for sure what I Think of that...We do not need any more electronic with the possible exception of a leap pad. I would really like to get her some sort of climb on toy, but I'm lost when it comes to those. They're SO expensive and look like they wouldn't be fun for more than a year or so...
After that, I'm stumped. We have shape sorters, the FP hippo and the one set of peek-a-blocks that came with it. Maybe we should ask for more of those?
What about little people? Do one year olds like those?
What is everyone else asking for?

pritchettzoo
08-29-2004, 12:26 AM
I'm doing an email right now to my aunt and a friend who've asked for Gracie's wish list. Here's what I have so far. Oh, and Gracie loves her Little People--they are quite tasty. ;) She likes playing with the animals best, and is starting to learn their noises.

Just cutting and pasting from my email:
Learning Block Books: Numbers, Colors, Shapes, Animals [BOX SET]
by Susan Estelle Kwas

ABC Block Books: 26 Board Books in a Box!
by Susan Estelle Kwas

Phonics Radio by Leap Frog

Octotunes by Lamaze

Duplo blocks

Ready Set Go cars by Parents Magazine

Easel (Little Tykes and Crayola both make good ones)

Shape Sorter by Tupperware

Piano/Xylophone Toy

Wooden Magnetic ABC Book by Melissa and Doug (or the Shapes, Colors, or Animals)

Other wooden toys by Melissa and Doug--Marshall's and TJ Maxx usually have some fun ones like a set to make a pizza or a sandwich.

Little Tykes slide

HTH!
Anna

ETA: Most if not all of these can be found on amazon or at Target. :)

papal
08-29-2004, 12:44 AM
The one thing that i really want to get for Leela is a nice dolly.. i think the one that Rebecca got for Elle.. Corolle one that looks like it is wearing Hannas and it has dark eyes and dark hair. Other than that.. i really don't want any toys.. she never seems to play with them anyway.. maybe a Melissa and Doug Tower-Ring thingie...we have the plastic FP one and i hate it! :)

Oregonmother
08-29-2004, 01:23 AM
I was thinking maybe-

Mega Blocks

Music instruments

Kettler Navigator

Little Tikes or Step 2 climbing structure/slide

Foam alphabet/number magnets (with solid magnet on back)

Gift Certificates to apply to Gymboree play class

books/educational toys

Alyssa

Kaiden 9/14/03

lisams
08-29-2004, 02:48 AM
DD got a doll for her first birthday, and it was by far her favorite gift - she still to this day loves her doll and plays with it a lot. Her play changes a lot, at first she just liked keeping it with her, but now she enjoys taking care of it, it's adorable to see her imagination run with such a simple little doll! I think you can't go wrong with a doll for Leela!

Lisa

rrosen
08-29-2004, 06:04 AM
Seems like this is all I think about lately!

DH and I are giving Elle this (as Rashmi mentioned):

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/12200.jpg

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/12201.jpg

My ILs are giving her a doll cradle that was made by her Great Great Grandfather. (they restored it for her) and something else (no idea what) that I am supossed to go buy! I hate it when people do that to me but that belongs in another forum.x(

From my parents: a Kettler with pushbar(I need to go get her a helmet), and a Radio Flyer rocking horse. And various other little things, I am sure.

I also have (but may hold off on giving her) some new Little people, a set of wood blocks, and a starter Duplo set.

We are running out of room in our tiny little house already! We NEED to finish our basement!

It is 4AM, her kids birthday party (yes we are doing two parties, don't ask) is later today and I can't sleep!

new_mommy25
08-29-2004, 06:12 AM
I don't want my baby to turn one.. :(

rrosen
08-29-2004, 06:21 AM
I don't either! Why do you think I am up at this ungodly hour!? I have spent the better part of this night watching her sleep in a state of panic over the fact that time is moving way too quickly.

sadie427
08-29-2004, 11:12 AM
We had a no-gifts please party, and relatives gave money or clothes. We just didn't want a lot, especially since what he really likes to do is crawl/cruise around the house. We just got him a few things ourselves, all of which he seems to like:

--a ride-on toy--ours is the Radio Flyer Little Red Scoot About, which is like a little bike w/out pedals, with a bell. It's adorable, we got it about three months ago when we had a coupon for toys r us, but I don't seem to be able to find it on the RF site so maybe it's discontinued?
--Wood blocks. (I would think they will play with those longer than the peek a blocks, since they are not all the same shape, etc.)
--The ABC block books.
--I think the little people are good starting around this age, and they will play with them for a long time. We are actually getting the vintage 1970's ones from Ebay because DH is super-nostalgic, but Sammy has a few of the modern ones which he likes.
--A push toy is a good idea, we already had the little tikes one, but that's a good idea if you don't have one.

HTH

NEVE and TRISTAN
08-29-2004, 12:28 PM
I promise you the interaction in these next few months gets better and better each day that passes...

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/18/05 as of 8/24 kicking and moving arms via sono, very active.
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine, I171A from INS has arrived, dossier to Ukraine next week!!!!!!

jec2
08-29-2004, 01:13 PM
Where did you get that doll? It is so cute. Do they have a variety? I want to get Finn a doll.

Let's see, for DS's birthday I have a wood duck pull toy (I also had a wood sea creature sorter but I caved and gave it to him earlier this month!).

I am thinking a big wagon. We really need the wagon for laundry :) We have a Kettler but that is for Christmas. I am also looking into a push toy where ds can stand and walk with it.

the frustrating thing is I would love to receive gift certificates for Kindermusik or swim lessons but I know my mom would just ignore my request as she did at xmas last year.

papal
08-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Not Becs, but you can get that doll in a lot of places.. it is the Corolle Tidoo.. it is on kidsurplus for $24, i even saw it at a local boutque store and at Nordys for $29. :)

http://www.kidsurplus.com/cor23506.html

Vajrastorm
08-29-2004, 02:06 PM
We are getting a Kettler trike with a pushbar, a Little People's set and I'm still considering a few small things.

Things I mught suggest to other people -
a soccer ball (never to early to start)
Mega blocks or Duplo

And my list ends. I am hoping we don't end up with a bunch of junk. I'm trying to avoid plastic-y toys unless they facilitate creative play and will be used for years. Lego's and Little People meet that standard.

We don't need books because my MIL has been collecting children's books for years. Even before I was pregnant she gave us boxes and boxes and boxes of children's books. If we didn't have a humongous book collection, I would be asking people for books.

s_gosney
08-29-2004, 02:32 PM
So many great ideas! It will take a while to look at all of them. We also have a ton of books, though we still have empty space on the shelves. Side note, I found 3 Boynton books at a consignment sale this weekend for $1 each! Yea!!! I do have the CD on our list though.
I'm regretting not getting on the Kettler bandwagon...maybe later.
Keep the ideas coming!