PDA

View Full Version : KidKraft kitchen in Sept. 2004 Parents magazine

LucyG
08-30-2004, 03:26 PM
I was wondering whether anyone has the Kidkraft Kitchen featured on p. 50 of the September Parents. I really like the looks of it, but not much information is given. Before I call Kidkraft, I thought I'd check here. Does anyone have this kitchen, or have you seen it? Do you know much about the quality of Kidkraft products in general?

nigele
08-31-2004, 04:58 PM
We've seen it in a few different toy stores and DS heads straight for it whenever we go to those stores. I would buy it for him for Christmas if the colors were more gender-neutral. Let me know if you have more specific questions!

etwahl
08-31-2004, 07:16 PM
are there pictures of this anywhere?

we are looking to buy lauren a kitchen for christmas, but i have NO idea which one!

LucyG
08-31-2004, 08:39 PM
Tammy,

Here's a link. I hope it works. The kitchen is on sale with free shipping at the linked site, which is better than the $200 listed in Parents! I LOVE the way it looks!

http://www.childsplayspot.com/detail.asp?product_id=KKJ53101

LucyG
08-31-2004, 08:42 PM
Lisa,

I do have a few questions!

- Do the stove, microwave, fridge and freezer open?
- Does the kitchen make any kind of sounds/noises?
- Does it seem sturdy and "non tippy?"
- Do you know whether the hands on the clock move?
- Do you think it's worth the money? Would it stand up to many, many years of play by more than one child?

Thanks so much!

etwahl
08-31-2004, 09:07 PM
that looks really cool. it is a bit more feminine than i had planned to buy...not sure why, i guess in case we have a boy next. but i might be interested. it's a good price.

lisa, any thoughts on YOUR favorite kitchens?

pritchettzoo
08-31-2004, 09:30 PM
WHY did they paint it in those hideous colors? I have a girl and I don't want it because of the Barbie-ness of the colors. Don't get me wrong, I love Barbie, but painting a kitchen pink and purple is just so a) UGLY and b) gender-stereotypical. Most chefs are MEN! ARGH!

It is such a cool kitchen otherwise. Gracie went for it at the store this weekend and she's not even 1 yet!

Anna

ETA: I just emailed the company to ask if it's available in other colors and if not, why.

pritchettzoo
08-31-2004, 09:38 PM
I'm not Lisa, but...
-All the doors open
-I don't think it makes any noises
-It seems very sturdy
-I think I remember that the hands on the clock move when you move them--like the telling time clocks in elementary school
-I think it's worth $159

Here's a link to its detail on the KidKraft website. It gives the assembly instructions and whatnot, so you could definitely tell if it makes noises from there.
http://www2.kidkraftinc.com/Online/ProductDetail_Default.asp?prodid=408&DeptID=400

Here's the link on the KidKraft website for the store locator. I saw it in an independent baby/child store near us, so there's probably a place near you where you can check it out IRL.
http://www2.kidkraftinc.com/Online/Default.asp?DeptID=211

HTH!

Anna

LucyG
08-31-2004, 10:09 PM
Thanks, Anna! I just PM'd you . . .

nigele
08-31-2004, 10:15 PM
I think Anna answered most of your questions but I will add that it does not make any noises and it seems extremely sturdy. I *definitely* think it's worth the money. I would be buy it in a minute for DS if it didn't have all the pink paint. Otherwise, I love it. If I had a girl, I would buy it in a heartbeat. It really is adorable!

Anna - the kitchen doesn't have any purple paint. It's pink, yellow and blue. Maybe the photo on the website looks purple?? And I don't believe KidKraft makes the kitchen in any other colors. One of the local toy store owners has told me he complained to KidKraft that lots of mothers of boys would have liked to buy the kitchen but hate all the pink. He told me they only make it in that color combo. BUT, he was hoping they would come out with a new design before Christmas. I'm crossing my fingers!

pritchettzoo
09-01-2004, 08:32 PM
Here's their response to my email:
Thank you for your interest in KidKraft. A white Kitchen with Primary color accents will be available at Learning Express stores across the country by the end of September. Please contact your local Learning Express store for ordering information.

And from www.learningexpress.com
http://www.learningexpress.com/jsp/images/catalog_images/kdklekitchen_l.jpg
http://www.learningexpress.com/childrens_toys/partNumber_KDKLEKITCHEN/proj.html

Anna

nigele
09-01-2004, 09:47 PM
Hurray! You can't imagine how happy this has made me!!! I'll keep an eye out for it at my local Learning Express.

I was thinking about this thread last night and remembered one time when I took Tom to Learning Express and he was playing with the kitchen. I was standing nearby looking at some toys and when I turned to check on him, I found he had crawled inside the oven and was trying to close the door on himself! LOL!

LucyG
09-01-2004, 09:50 PM
Yipee!! I love the colors on this one even better! Thanks for posting the picture and info!

nigele
09-01-2004, 10:04 PM
Tammy,

This one is my favorite and certainly is Tom's favorite! He goes for the kitchen rather than the train table at the three local toy stores and I have to drag him away when it's time to leave! Two of the toy store have a different brand wooden kitchen and he completely ignores those.

Next time you're in town, I'll take you to see it. Learning Express has a pre-Christmas sale in October and everything is 20% off. They sell the kitchen for $199 so on sale it would be $160. I'll let you know when their sale happens and maybe we can make plans!

etwahl
09-01-2004, 10:05 PM
lisa, please keep me updated if you find this (and the local address) so i can check it out too. thanks!

mharling
09-01-2004, 10:17 PM
This looks great; thanks for the update, Anna!!! Now, if we could figure out how to get these colors at the discount price..... :) I checked the site again and it said 'Available October 2004'; maybe we stand a chance!

Mary
Lane - April 2003
Little brother or sister on the way - EDD March 2

etwahl
09-01-2004, 10:35 PM
oops lisa, i typed the message below before i saw this one. yes, i would love to go to learning express with you to check it out...especailly at the sale price. we'll definitely make plans to come up, maybe stay the night on a weekend and let the kids play together :)

zuzu
09-01-2004, 11:17 PM
Wonderful news! Thanks Anna.

I think we may have just found our play kitchen. :)

Melissa, mom to Sarah (5.10.03)

LucyG
09-02-2004, 01:30 PM
FYI - I contacted childsplayspot.com, who is selling the pastel kitchen for $160, and they said they will not have the new primary colored one until at least February. Too bad, though who knows if it will be at the same price anyway, being a new product. Just wanted to pass that along to people who might be looking to buy online.

ETA - I called my local Learning Express, and the man with whom I spoke there said he thought the primary kitchen would be sold exclusively at Learning Express stores. So, I'm not sure what to make of it. Maybe it will be at LE initially, and then more widespread?

shall85296
09-03-2004, 05:46 PM
Somehow I keep finding great deals on KidKraft products ( Tuesday Morning, Costco), and everytime I am impressed by how well made & packaged it is. It is also the easiest to put together IMO.
sh

vpalmer
10-15-2004, 12:23 AM
Does anyone know if this kitchen is now available? This post mentioned late September and I just checked the Learning Express website and only the pastel kitchen is shown. Also, can you get the 20% off sale in October Lisa mentioned online?

Thanks!

Veronica
Mom to Eva

jec2
10-15-2004, 12:54 AM
It is there! Here is the link
http://tinyurl.com/4n2kh

vpalmer
10-15-2004, 09:59 AM
Thanks Juliet!

Veronica
Mom to Eva