PDA

View Full Version : Do you wait for special occasions to give your child gifts?

LucyG
09-01-2004, 01:35 PM
So, I'm all excited about getting DD, 18 months, a play kitchen. We had planned to wait until Christmas to do this, but my DH thinks we should just get her one now, since she loves playing with them at other people's houses. I don't want her to get the idea (though at this age I don't think she would) that she gets big gifts all the time, just for no reason. But, I also don't want to make Christmas and birthdays a huge ordeal, gift-wise. We are trying to limit the number of toys we have, anyway, and focus on quality rather than quantity.

So, I'm wondering, is it better to save big gifts (say, a kitchen :-)), for special events, or do you like to give your kids gifts here and there, for no reason at all? So far, we've done a balance of both. Thoughts from those who have been there? Thanks!

Raidra
09-01-2004, 01:45 PM
We got Colwyn a bunch of big toys this summer with no occasion. However.. he didn't have any outdoor toys, so we had to get him some.. and they were all from the consignment stores, so it's not like they were expensive.

I'm waiting on a few bigger presents (like a train table) until Christmas, but I don't think he'll miss it until then. If there was something he really loved, I'd probably give it to him early. :) It's not like they really know the difference at this age.

s_gosney
09-01-2004, 01:53 PM
Well, so far we've just given K stuff when she "needed" it. We really haven't gotten too many big things though as of yet. I think that generally speaking, I will probably buy throughout the year, esp since "back to school", her b-day and Christmas all happen within a few months. For now though, I don't guess it really matters since they don't know the difference, but I may have to rethink as she gets older.

ett
09-01-2004, 02:37 PM
We haven't bought DS any of the big toys yet so we've just been giving him stuff as we buy them. As he gets older and we start buying the big ticket items, we will have to rethink how we give him gifts. I don't want to spoil him by giving him these gifts on non-special occasions but I also want to make sure he gets them at the appropriate age. Fortunately DS's birthday and Christmas is several months apart so we can space the big presents out.

jasmine
09-01-2004, 03:24 PM
Hi,

For big ticket items, we just gave them to DS as we bought them. Mainly because kids grow up so fast (and DS will be an only child) that we wanted him to get as much use out of them as possible. Plus it is taking up space anyways, so why not let him enjoy it instead of having it take up closet or garage space (this is because we're in CA and no basement to store things :-). Maybe you can give it to your DD as a Labor day present :-) Or if something else is coming up that is special in its own way.

pamela mom of 3
09-01-2004, 03:51 PM
I'd say we run a bit of both, of coarse having 3 kids has greatly curbed how often i do this as it's never just one thing y'know? LOL

Basically i don't think their is a "right or wrong" answer to this, it's about what the family feels comfortable doing :)

When my kids were very young i did often purchase "big" items since we didn't have them and i needed things for the children to play with and wasn't going to wait till their was an event in which to base the purchase on, it was more on the lines of the child likes this, we can afford it and they need something to do! LOL {insert sanity saver headline here}

~Pamela Mom to the Trio Of Trouble http://smilies.jeeptalk.org/otn/angels/newangel.gif

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppstrollers

stillplayswithbarbies
09-07-2004, 04:12 PM
I don't consider buying toys for my children as giving them gifts. Having the right toys at the right stage of their development is important, and I consider it my job as the parent to provide the right toy at the right time. (and yes, back in the pioneer days that would have meant carving a doll out of a corncob or whatever, so it doesn't have to mean spending lots of money)

anyway. My point is that I don't save things for Christmas or birthday, I give them at the appropriate stage of her development.

My 13 year old gets an allowance, he buys his own stuff. :)

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

kijip
09-08-2004, 12:42 AM
I think it is almost better NOT to load up at Christmas and B-days so that they don't become a financial or stress burden. Just put the kitchen out now, let her play away and then give her low-key Christmas presents!

LucyG
09-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks, everyone! We are going kitchen hunting this weekend! We hope to find one and give it to her in the next couple of weeks. I'm going to suggest that the grandparents get her some accessories for it for Christmas (shopping cart, dishes, etc.). We already have some fake food, but I think a little more would be fun. So, I'm keeping my eyes open for that, as well.