PDA

View Full Version : Is a chair a good gift for a one year old?

s_gosney
09-01-2004, 01:40 PM
I like this one by pottery barn:
http://a1412.g.akamai.net/7/1412/243/0011/image1.styleinamerica.com/pkecimgs/images/products/200434

but I'm not sure if it is practical. Meaning...would it get used? How long until she would outgrow it, etc.

Would a table and chairs set be better? or are both of these better for slightly older kiddos? what age? TIA!

ETA: My link isn't working right to show the pic! Not sure what I did wrong. Anyway, it's the simple overstuffed chair. It's called something like "my first chair" or something.

janeybwild
09-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Sherri, we have the PBK Anywhere Chair (got it new on E-bay), and it is fab. DD loves it. We got it for her at 13 months. She sits on it throughout the day, and loves to climb on/off. We also have a small rocking chair which she loves to climb on. We had to train her not to stand on the chairs, but that seems to be fine now. I guess safety was a concern of mine when we first got it, but I would rather she fall off of her chair and learn from it, than fall from a regular chair. So far, that hasn't happened though. So, IMO, a chair is a great idea. We will be adding a table and chair set for Christmas. Good luck.

jamsmu
09-01-2004, 02:51 PM
We have the PBK Anywhere Chair, too. DS enjoys climbing on it and he eats his "snack" drinks there. We were given a wooden rocking chair--absolutely adorable--for his b-day as well, but its proven to be a hazard so far so we're putting that away until he is older. Also, DH and I gave DS a chair and table (PBK school house desk) for his b-day. The chair is a "carolina chair". Its a little big, but if we sit with him, he can color and stay in the chair for about a minute or two.

s_gosney
09-01-2004, 05:33 PM
yeah, that's it. The anywhere chair. So, do you all have the "my first a.c" or just the regular one? For how long do you think your child will be able to use it?

Does anyone have the critter chair? Is this the one where the head flops and gets in the way or is that another similar one. Thanks all!

jamsmu
09-01-2004, 07:15 PM
We have the regular one. IMO, the "my first" is just a waste b/c ds will grow out of it soon. I even sit in the AC (I'm pretty small) and there is room. I think he'll be able to use it for a while. The slipcover seems very durable (we have the denim one and my neighbor has the cord, both are great). I don't know anything about the critter chair. sorry.

janeybwild
09-02-2004, 08:52 AM
I agree with Julie. I would guess that DD would use her regular Anywhere Chair for several years.

August Mom
09-02-2004, 09:39 AM
I didn't know there was a "my first" versus a regular. I did know there was now a bigger chair. Anyway, I think we have the regular one. DS really likes it. He eats some snacks and watches TV there. When he was younger, he really liked to climb on it. That was good, though, because it is very sturdy and padded. He had less chance of injuring himself on the chair than other things around the house. I think he will be able to use it for years. I can sit in it. I have a friend who is very small (think under 5' and a size 2 (or maybe 0)) and it's her favorite chair at the house. She says it was made just her size.

We have the blue corduroy. It cleans up great and we all really like it.

ETA: I thought 1 was too young for a table and chair set. All DS wanted to do was climb on them and I was concerned that he'd tip the chairs, etc. We waited until 2 years, although I think 18 months would have been a more optimal time.