PDA

View Full Version : exersaucers

vinny
09-01-2004, 09:38 PM
has anyone heard whether or not exersaucers are good for babies development? i read an article that stated that it may impede their ability to begin independent mobility ie. crawling and walking. and when would be a good age to invest in one?

Momof3Labs
09-01-2004, 10:27 PM
This question is asked (and answered) probably once every 2-3 weeks on this board - please search the archives for some great info!!

kozachka
09-02-2004, 07:25 AM
I did not want to use an exersauser for my baby at all based on all the negative press they've been getting but when around 3.5-4 months DS refused to lay down and would only be happy when I held him upright I decided to bite the bullet and follow my pediatrician recommendation to get an exersaucer for him.

We used it from the time when Danny was about 4.5 till about 7.5 months. In our case it did not impede his desire to explore other mobility options. He's been cruising since 8 months, which I attribute at least in part to the stronger leg muscles he devoloped using the saucer. He did not crawl, just rolled over to reach his target, but that is completely normal.

If you do use an exercauser, use it in moderation and don't leave the baby unattended and everything should be fine.

Jen in Chicago
09-02-2004, 09:25 AM
We started using it at 3.5 months-11 or so months. It was priceless! Just like everything good in life, you need to use it with moderation. This was the only way I got to shower when DH was traveling. I was one of the few people in this world that kept an exersaucer in my bathroom.

Jude crawled at 6 mo and walked at 11. He spent time in an exersaucer at daycare and at home during my showers.