PDA

View Full Version : How to prevent 'flat head'

June Mommy
09-02-2004, 04:56 PM
Hi, we just got back from our 2 month pediatritian appointment, and she mentioned that DS had a little 'flattening' on his head. So now I feel so guilty! I don't notice it, but I don't want my baby to have a flat head! I didn't think he was spending too much time laying down. He doesn't care much for tummy time yet, but I do try a few minutes every day. What else can you do to help prevent flattening? Do I need to hold him more, use the Baby Bjorn instead of the stroller, turn his head to the side when he sleeps? We are on the go a lot, so he has spent a lot of time in his infant seat and there have been a few times that he was asleep so we let him nap in it rather than wake him to get him out. I'll be sure to get him out from now on, but I was just wondering what else I could do to prevent or correct this problem. Thanks!

missliss55
09-02-2004, 05:16 PM
My DD always wanted to sleep on the back of her head and I too was worried about her getting a flat spot. We used sleep positioners when she slept and put one wedge under her back a little so that her head would go to the side. Hope that makes sense. I would then rotate it the next time she slept. My DD also hated tummy time but we got her this little tummy time boppy and that helped. Also she had a little gym and that helped too. You do have to be careful how much time they spend in the infant carrier. I do know that boppy makes a head support to help prevent flat spots....I believe it is called the noggin nest or something like that. I think the big key is just watching how their head is when they are sleeping and make sure that you are rotating so that they are not spending too much time on any one side. HTH.

Marisa6826
09-02-2004, 05:48 PM
You can try turning his head when he sleeps, but honestly, Sophie would turn it right back to where she was more comfy. Do you put him in a bouncy seat? He will be inclined and not totally flat.

As far as tummy time goes, none of them like it. Try laying on the couch or bed, and but the babe on your chest. By the time the baby realises what's going on, tummy time is done!

Your DS's head probably wasn't completely round to begin with unless you had a c/s. They get kind of squished on their little "journey".

Good luck and congrats!

-m

icunurse
09-03-2004, 12:36 PM
I totally agree with the suggestion to put a head support in the stroller and in the car seat (if you don't already have one). I used to work in a neonatal ICU and was aware of the "flat head" thing when our son came home. I tried turning his head while he slept, but he usually went right back to where he started. He even started to have hair thinning on one side (even now, the fact that he has a somewhat thin area on the back of his head disturbs me). But you also have to be aware that too much time on the side of the head can cause the same problem (baby skulls are very moldable). Just keep pushing that tummy time (even if it's by laying on your tummy or in your arms) and, soon, your baby will be moving more and decreasing the "flat head".

Traci
~Connor's Mom~
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050204/1/0/1/-6/.png (http://lilypie.com)

NEVE and TRISTAN
09-03-2004, 01:34 PM
My ped who graduated first in his class from Med School and was Chief Resident at Hopkins and whose opinion I value greatly said to me (and no one slam me or I'll slam you back I am just sharing what my DR told me- I got slammed by someone last time I posted this and just want it to be known that I will share what was told to me whether you like it or not, the person who slammed me ONLY spoke of this condition when they posted, who knows the motive, I will come right out and say it)...
But anyway he told me that there are companies making huge profits scaring us with the idea of "flat head" etc... and that it is not something to worry about. He said that the companies try to "woo" him often with perks so that he can pass their literature on to his patients, and he kicks them out of the office.

I too feared this- for Tristan has a huge head and I thought it might look flat, for we can actually convince ourselves of things...

Anyway don't know if that is correct, but wanted to share what my ped said...
Edited to clarify he didn't say flat head does not happen but he said "it works itself out"...and that it can be normal to have it in babies...

Neve and Tristan born Feb 25, 2003
* EDD 3/18/05 as of 8/24 kicking and moving arms via sono, very active.
* Adopting siblings in Ukraine, I171A from INS has arrived, dossier to Ukraine next week!!!!!!

icunurse
09-03-2004, 02:05 PM
You are so right....they market TONs of stuff (and not only for "flat head") out of parents fear for the worst....and some of the things they market aren't safe for other reasons. According to most "safety" manufacturers, I live in a death trap! :) The "Back to Sleep" campaign has scared the heck out of many people, having infants who only sleep and lay on their back *at all times* or most times. It's those kids who are at greater risk of needing intervention later on (helmets to reform the skull, etc.). As someone else mentioned, most kids do not have a nice, round head after birth and usually even later on. But if the ped noticed it, while I wouldn't stress about it, early interventions are the best action to prevent a future problem.
Traci
~Connor's Mom~
http://lilypie.com/baby1/050204/1/0/1/-6/.png (http://lilypie.com)

toomanystrollers
09-03-2004, 09:56 PM
The easiest solution - wear your baby :)-Avoid overusing the bucket carseat.

Go take a peek in the "carrier" forum here - you'll find lots of recommends for slings, pouches and more comfortable babywearing gear than the mass-marketed bjorn.

kseltmann
09-03-2004, 10:37 PM
I agree with everything said. I am sick of all the scare tactics and guilt marketing associated with the baby industry. For the record, I don't use a wipes warmer or a bottle warmer. I didn't use a sleep positioner. I did, however, realize that Emily's head was really crooked and the orthopedic surgeon that had to examine her hips mentioned it to me. I initially ignored his opinion, but then he mentioned the words "corrective helmet" I started to panic...which again, I think is a scare tactic, but anyway, it stuck in my head. All I could think about was my beauty in a freakin helmet. I ran out and got a Boppy Noggin Nest. My next goal was to analyze the head shape and see what side she favored. From that point on, we did everything to the left. I angled her in the stroller or seat. Even in her swing to watch a BE DVD I angled the swing so that she would have to look left. Needless to say, for our follow up appointment with the orthopedic surgeon, he was amazed at our progress.
Anyway, I used the noggin nest when Emily would play her FP Classical Chorus Gym that she loved (she layed on the floor to play it) and pretty much everywhere else she went.
Now my MIL who initially thought I was insane thinks that I did a good job "fixing" her head. She also admitted that she noticed the flat part, but again, she is from the "put them on the belly" generation.
I hope I am not rambling...
HTH,

Kathryn
Emily 9.24.03

http://lilypie.com/baby1/040924/2/13/2/-5/.png[/img][/url]