PDA

View Full Version : Which swing for newborn

jacolis
09-03-2004, 05:40 PM
Hello,

I am trying to decide what swing to buy for my newborn. The Fisher Price Ocean Wonders swing seemed highly rated but then I read all these reviews which mentioned how dangerous it was.

Thanks!

Lisa

iujen94
09-03-2004, 08:43 PM
We have the Graco swing - I can't remember which model it is, but it has 6 speeds and a mobile with lions over the top. It's an open top swing. We were very happy with it (we actually put our 9 mo old in it tonight just to compare how big he looks in it now and he still thought it was fun hanging out in there!) I would say that I think 6 speeds is overkill (we maybe used two different speeds the entire time), so don't let fewer speeds deter you from buying a swing you like otherwise. HTH

pritchettzoo
09-03-2004, 09:18 PM
DD loved her Ocean Wonders swing--it was a total lifesaver for us. I hadn't heard of it being dangerous.

Make sure you keep the box though. Some babies HATE swings. Same with bouncy chairs! :)

Anna

heatherlynn
09-03-2004, 09:37 PM
We just bought the FP Aquarium Take Along swing this week. So far so good. As a matter of fact, he's sleeping in it now. I do kind of wish we'd gotten an open top swing, though. And I agree w/ pp - keep boxes/receipts. My DD hated swings, but this guy will sleep in it for a couple of hours, thank goodness.

H-
Heather
dd Gabrielle 3/98
ds Matthew 8/5/04!

Rikkele
09-03-2004, 10:05 PM
DD loves her FP Ocean Wonders Aquarium swing but didn't really take to it until about 6wk old. I also had never heard anything about it being dangerous. It works great for us.

ribbit1019
09-04-2004, 02:04 AM
Danger might be that opposite leg to where the swing is lifts in the back when it is in motion. I thought it might be because of my hard wood floors, so I hooked it under area rug to make sure it didn't topple, but because of trip hazard I pulled it out. It hasn't tipped at all and DD has been using hers for 3 months and loves it. (as do I when I need to put her down for a little while.) She hates being put down so the cradle option is wonderful. She doesn't like to go front to back a whole lot, we have the FP Ocean travel swing and she doesn't care for it too much. She may later, but having the option of both directions seemed really good to me, and DD loves the lights and fish. She probably would have been fine if we only had front to back though. Motion is motion I think. Mine was a gift, don't break the bank if you don't have too, the open top Graco swings are very nice.

bchafin
09-04-2004, 09:25 AM
I have both the regular and the travel version of the aquarium swing. I love love love the regular. My DS loves to watch the fish and the lights and the seat is so comfortable. The travel swing is nice when we visit parents, but he doesn't like it nearly as much. Good luck!

Barb and Devin

hellosmiletoday
09-04-2004, 11:46 AM
I have graco one and DD loves it. Started enjoying it at about 2 months. I bought a graco toy to put in the dish in front, and she is starting to play with it!

ett
09-05-2004, 12:45 AM
We also have this swing, which we got as a gift. I do agree with the PP that 6 speeds is probably overkill. We only used 2 or 3 speeds. A swing with less speeds would have worked just fine with us.

lampes
09-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Our DD loves it still at 5 months. We had a Graco one but it didn't work for us. The side to side motion of the FP cradle was perfect and she loved the lights and mobile. I thought it was well worth the money.

chammond2001
09-06-2004, 10:22 PM
Our DS loves the travel version of the Aquarium swing and it has gone on the road with us - very handy. Takes up so much less space than the floor models. I used a Graco with DS #1. This one is our favorite.

amydiara
09-07-2004, 06:25 PM
Baby Jack loved loved loved FP Ocean Swing from birth to 5 months (got too big). Couldnt have lived without it. He hated other swings.

Only "danger" is some people think it goes too fast. I didnt. It is a good strong swing motion but baby LOVED it.

Amy