PDA

View Full Version : Entertaining DS in his RF Marathon for 5 hrs....

ethansmom
09-06-2004, 09:54 AM
Please help! We are driving to Chicago on Wednesday and DS decided this weekend that he doesn't want to sleep in the car! I had timed both trips to coincide w/nap and the return at night, but he managed to stay awake. This last trip wasn't so bad since my mom was along and I was able to entertain DS. However, we are making the Chicago trip by ourselves. Can anyone recommend a good carseat toy? We have one (by Sassy?) but it doesn't really work w/ the Marathon, and at this point, I don't think it would entertain him very long.

We are planning to stop along the way and of course, we'll check out the playground at the outlet mall. ;-)

Many thanks!

TaChapm
09-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Both my mom and Dh parents live more than 5 hours away and I usually travel out to see my mom alone at least every other month. I usually pack a bag full of rattles, teathers, baby cell phone, books and cars for Jackson. I have been doing this since he was young. I keep the bag in the front seat and hand him a toy one at a time. When he is done with that one I give him another. He always has something new to look at. Usually by the time I stop I have to collect all the toys from the back seat but then we just rotate through again. It works well for us. Now that he is older I bought a travel magna doodle and he loves to play with that in the car but we still have a bag full of other things in case.
HTH
Tara
Mommy to Jackson 11-10-02

http://lilypie.com/baby2/021110/1/5/1/-6/.png

ethansmom
09-07-2004, 09:22 AM
Thanks!

stillplayswithbarbies
09-07-2004, 03:25 PM
magnadoodle! She only gets to play with it in her carseat, or restaurants, so that keeps it special.

Also some lift-the-flap books are a hit right now.

But the best thing is the DVD player in our new van, with the second screen installed facing forward so she can see it. All Elmo, all the time!

Now if I could only get her to use the headphones so the rest of us don't have to listen to "la la lala la la lala Elmo's song" for 5 hours . . .

...Karen
DS Jake Feb 91, DD Logan Mar 03
http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/superpower.gif http://members.aol.com/khowe14494/borntobebreastfed2.gif

tippy
09-09-2004, 12:18 AM
Sorry, no great advice here just commiseration (is that a word?). DS doesn't sleep in the car either. He doesn't cry so at least that is a relief. He just gets "excited" and will literally kick his legs for most of the trip. I put on some fun music for him and sing and that will keep him occupied for a while. He also has a special whirly toy that lights up and spins that he only gets to play with in the car. A favorite book will hold his attention for a bit. Even though he doesn't sleep through his nap time I still put on his "nap time" music. I'm hoping one day it helps! Good luck, let us know how you make out.

tippy
09-09-2004, 12:19 AM
)))))All Elmo, all the time!((((((((

ROTFL! I want to go out and buy a new van JUST FOR THAT!