PDA

View Full Version : Nanny cams

shelley
09-07-2004, 03:25 PM
Hello. I am going back to work in Dec and want to get some nanny cams for my house - preferably ones that I can view the video online. Any suggestions?

HeatherW
09-07-2004, 07:29 PM
We do not have one for the baby..However, we researched this to keep an eye on our business while away. The company Smarthome has several options w/ great customer svc. www.smarthome.com

pritchettzoo
09-07-2004, 10:54 PM
No suggestions as to the cameras, but you may want to check out your state's laws on recording devices. You might have to give your nanny notice that she's being videotaped.

Anna

kijip
09-08-2004, 12:01 AM
Generally speaking, in most states, it is legal to video tape domestic workers but but it gets dicey to record voices. Nothing can subsitute a comprehensive background and reference check. Some states do require notification for videos. Every city seems to have a PI type shop to check out so you could start there.

shelley
09-08-2004, 08:01 PM
Thank you. I didn;t even think about disclosure!

AngelaS
09-08-2004, 08:58 PM
As a former nanny, I would've quit the minute I found out that the families didn't trust me and took to secretly videotaping me.

JMHO....

kijip
09-08-2004, 09:16 PM
As a fellow former nanny, I hear you! But having seen a situation where the nanny seemed ok but the child seemed unhappy (pre-verbal toddler) and the parents used a camera after exhausting all other roads I sympathize with the desire to use a video in certain circumstances. I don't personally believe in using them from day one, but as an investigative tool in a dicey situation where you can't tell if the nanny is during a good job or not. In my friend's case the house was taped (rented cameras) in the baby's room, the living room and the kitchen. In the course of the day the sitter barely looked at the child. At one point appeared to leave the house without the child (now she could have stood in the yard or in the corner out of view of the living room camera but that seems unlikely). Also when asked about the day she claimed to have taken the child to the park and the library but she never left the house with the child. Needless to say she was fired. They never told her why or that she had been filmed. In the end I think that the needs of the child should come before a bad nanny's privacy. All of this is moot once a child can talk about what is happening. For parents of infants and toddlers in care limited use of cameras may be helpful.

Frankly I would not have given the nanny the benefit of the doubt in this case- I would have fired here before resorting to taping just on instinct alone. But nannies can be hard to find, and they wanted to see if maybe she was great but their child morose. Taping her was my friend's way of trying to keep her!

shelley
09-08-2004, 10:07 PM
My baby will be three months old at the time that I leave him in the care of the nanny and I am really worried. So, I want to do everything I can to protect him when i am not around. He will not have the ability to communicate how he is doing and to video tape the care taker will give me the peace of mind to know that I am ensuring his safety.

If I had the luxury of staying at home I would but like many moms I do not....

Thanks for your support

kijip
09-10-2004, 03:09 AM
I totally hear you! You might look into hiring a private investigator to do a comprehensive background check on you final candidate. And be sure to make sure your taping is in compliance with the laws in your specific state.

I choose to work and we are lucky enough to have my husband home part time and my parents nearby. Thus I have not had to delve into these issues much but have seen my frineds deal with a lot of nanny situations. I hope everything goes well for you.