PDA

View Full Version : What's the best baby monitor? Is Baby Call monitor any good?

ShaniB123
09-09-2004, 02:33 PM
Hi Everyone-

I'm new to this board, so please forgive me if this question has been addressed 1000 times already. What do you all think is the best baby monitor?

I registered for one made by Sony called "Baby Call Nursery Monitor- 27 channel" because it got good reviews on Amazon/BRU and was reasonably priced- does anyone have any opinions re this product or other suggestions? (I'm not opposed to changing my registry).

Also, I don't think I need one with video.

Thanks for any insight you can give!

First due in CA in October

steph2003
09-09-2004, 02:42 PM
We have that monitor & have had no problems. We like the "voice" activation feature where you can turn it to that & you get no static/background noise - it only makes noise when the baby actually cries (or talks to himself) I got tired of listening to that endless static on our other monitor. I think monitors are trial & error depending on what kind of other electronic equipment you have in your house & your neighborhood for that matter. Might want to buy a place you can return w/box if you don't like a Babies R Us brick & mortar store.

mamarazzo
09-09-2004, 06:58 PM
We've been using this monitor (Sony BabyCall NTM-910) for just over a year, and have been very happy with it overall.

Pros:

Extremely sensitive and clear reception.

Water resistant, so it can sit on the bathroom counter while I shower.

Lots of channels to choose from to help prevent interference with other devices.

Receiver is rechargeable (transmitter runs on AC power only). Though it takes a long time to recharge completely, this hasn't been a problem since we leave it plugged in at night.

Voice activation mode, to hear just significant baby noises and nothing else (we haven't used this feature much, but I can see how it could be handy).

Cons:

It's easy to accidentally turn the volume down when picking up the receiver, and more than once I didn't notice that DS was crying until I happened to look at the monitor and see the lights.

It's notorious for being a bit too sensitive at times. Even after going through all the channels ours does occasionally emit random beeps (some types of interference set off the "out of range" alarm), which can be annoying. Sometimes moving or rotating either transmitter or receiver seems to help. I guess I'm happy enough with it otherwise that the occasional minor annoyance isn't a problem.

But like any monitor it really depends on the particular setting, so I just made sure and tested it right after buying it and kept the receipt handy just in case. So far so good.

M.R.