PDA

View Full Version : No-Sew Fleece Blankies

grenicali
09-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Anyone have one of these for the kids and do the kids like/use it? I'm thinking of making some for holiday gifts - they look so easy and I love to make things! Any suggestions on fabric selection - should I pick a character they currently like or go with something that would grow with them a little more (non-character)? Thanks.

macassi
09-10-2004, 09:21 PM
We have one and my boys really like it. It is very toasty since it is two layers of fleece.

I also had the idea to do them as gifts, and I bought the fabric but alas it sits in my to-do pile. I chose a piglet print for one side and a coordinating solid for the other. I personally like the print/solid combo. The one we have is two solids and it just doesn't do as much for me. As for characters, I think Disney characters go with a child and you could definitely find prints that would grow with them...

Raidra
09-10-2004, 09:22 PM
I've wanted one of these ever since I saw a few moms at playgroup with them. This was the 0-4 month playgroup, though, so the babies weren't playing with them so much as lying on them. I haven't seen any older kids using them, but they generally don't bring blankets to play group.

I still want one, though.. unfortunately my craft to-do list is huge right now. ;)

jamsmu
09-10-2004, 09:49 PM
I make them. My DS uses these as his blankie--which is great because I've made plenty so I can trade off -- big for home, smaller for trips. I always do a pattern on one side and solid on the reverse. I recommend using a pattern that repeats, and not a picture as it is easier to plan. Have fun!

Kimberly H
09-10-2004, 10:52 PM
I made several single-layer ones for Mia and we took one to China. She LOVED it and we used it every single day for 2 weeks and then again when we got home.

She found one a couple of weeks ago and insisted on dragging it around and hugging it.

I'll be making some more big ones to use as blankies for her big girl toddler bed since her crib blankets are too small for winter use. We're in Myrtle Beach, SC so the dual-layered ones are really too heavy for our winters.

I also made them for my teenage boys and they're used every day in the cooler months also. Everyone is wrapped up in them in evenings - Garfield (Drew), space (Bryce), teddy bears/bunnies (Mia), and plain blue (Dad). The dogs also sleep on fleece blankets without the knotted edges. I need to take a picture!

ETA: 2 pics of Mia in China with her blankie

grenicali
09-11-2004, 12:23 AM
Mia looks so precious cuddled up in her blankie! What a cutie. I love the colors in her blanket too.

jubilee
09-11-2004, 04:15 AM
I love these! I've always like the look of them but never thought abot making one myself. I don't know how to do it though. Can anyone direct me to a "how to" directions? Will they fray or anything? How long do you cut the ties? Do you tack the two sides together or is it just the edge ties that keep them together? Sorry for all the questions, but it's just occured to me that this might be a good crib blanket for the fall weather.

AngelaS
09-11-2004, 07:35 AM
They are SUPER easy to make!

Fleece doesn't fray, so you don't have to do anything to the edges and the ties alone will hold it together.

Simply cut your two pieces of fleece the same size, cut a 3 inch square from each corner and then cut one inch wide tassles from the edge in (cut thru both layers at the same time). Once you get them all cut, just double knot them all and you're done!

JennSimm
09-11-2004, 10:30 AM
Thank you to whoever posted this! I was going to post it myself, as my dd is having a sleepover bday party, and we are going to make these...but i had no idea how! Im going to load all the girls and take them to joanne fabric so they can pick out their own design.

Jenn

grenicali
09-11-2004, 11:45 AM
One more question - how big do you make it for a toddler? I was thinking 1.5 yds of fleece?

AngelaS
09-11-2004, 03:18 PM
However big you want. :D Usually fleece comes 60 inches wide.

octmom
09-11-2004, 05:28 PM
OK, I am NOT very crafty, but y'all have inspired me. I just went to JoAnn Fabrics and bought some fleece-- blue with ABC and 123 embroidered in red, yellow, orange, lime (very cute!) and solid red for the reverse. If they'd had a matching lime green, I would have tried that, but I think the red will be cute. I got enough to make at leat two 1.5 yard blankets, plus a little extra. If the first one comes out OK, I may make a pillow too. Fingers crossed!

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

"Baby makes days shorter, nights longer, home happier, and love stronger."

almostamom
09-11-2004, 06:32 PM
I'm not terribly crafty either and, evidently, I'm not very good at visualizing. Is it possible for someone to post a pic of one of your no-sew blankets. They sound darling, but I'm just not quite understanding how to make it and I think a pic would help a lot!

Thank you,
~Linda~
Baby #1 due Nov 17, 2004

ETA - hmm, not crafty, can't visualize, and today I can't type either!

grenicali
09-11-2004, 07:33 PM
Here's a website with instructions and pictures (click on the brag page link) I'm going to try to make one today or tomorrow for the first time and I can post a pic if it turns out

almostamom
09-11-2004, 07:40 PM
Thanks for the help, but the link didn't make it to your post (or maybe my cold is so bad that it's affecting my vision - totally possible with the way my head feels right now!), but could you post it again???

Thanks so much,
~Linda~
Baby #1 due Nov 17, 2004

jubilee
09-11-2004, 07:45 PM
I think your link disappeared!

grenicali
09-11-2004, 08:43 PM
>Thanks for the help, but the link didn't make it to your
>post (or maybe my cold is so bad that it's affecting my vision
>- totally possible with the way my head feels right now!),
>but could you post it again???
>
>Thanks so much,
>~Linda~
>Baby #1 due Nov 17, 2004

I think I forgot to post it! Sorry
http://www.exploringwomanhood.com/homelife/ideas/pom-jan03.htm

grenicali
09-11-2004, 10:16 PM
Here's my first no-sew blanket. I made it for my mom (she has a Pug.) I used two yards with one side print and the other side solid color. Sorry if the photo is huge, I need to buy some photo editing software.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/12870.jpg

almostamom
09-11-2004, 11:42 PM
Thank you so much for taking the time to re-post the link and add a picture. It makes so much more sense to me now. Hmm, maybe there will be a Joann's coupon in tomorrow's paper! :) I'm going to give it a try. The blanket you made for your mom is CUTE!

Thanks again,
~Linda~
Baby #1 due Nov 17, 2004

octmom
09-12-2004, 11:31 AM
I made my first blanket last night and I LOVE IT!!! I posted above that I found a very cute blue fleece embroidered with ABC 123 yesterday at JoAnn Fabrics. The embroidery is red, yellow, green, and orange. I used a solid red for the reverse and it turned out absolutely adorable! I think I will keep it in the car this winter to use as a car/ stroller blanket for DS. I made it kind of large. Think I will make one or two smaller ones with te rest of the fleece I bought.

Also, I saw a very cute pink fleece at JoAnn embroidered with little ladybugs and flowers. I think I'll buy that and a coordinating solid to make blankets for my niece and my best friend's daughter.

My JoAnn Fabrics had a decent selection of fleece, but not great. Does anyone have a good online source or another store to recommend for fleece? I like the embroidered ones that I mentioned, but nice solids would be great too. I didn't like many of the prints I saw at JoAnn-- too blurry looking or cartoony for me.

Thanks!

Jerilyn
Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

grenicali
09-12-2004, 11:40 AM
Thanks Linda! When I was at Jo Anns Saturday the fleece was 20% off (excluding licensed fleece) Maybe that sale is still going on.

grenicali
09-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Jerilyn - try ebay. I don't know of any online stores that have fleece, I'm sure you could find some if you did a search, but ebay has a pretty big selection. When I looked on ebay they had alot of cute ones that JoAnns didn't have. Can you post a picture of the blanket you made? How big did you make it?

octmom
09-12-2004, 11:57 AM
I will check e-bay. Thanks for the tip. I've never e-bayed before and the whole thing is a bit overwhelming.

My blanket is approx. 45 inches by 43 inches, excluding the fringe. I cut the slits for fringe between 4 and 5 inches, so after knotting, the fringy bits are around 3 inches long. I'll try to post a picture, but I am notoriously bad about downloading pictures from the camera. (Don't even ask how long its been since we've actually printed photos or uploaded them to Ofoto to get professional prints and share them with family...)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

LBW
09-12-2004, 02:12 PM
You can also order fleece directly from Malden Mills:
http://www.maldenmillsstore.com/

ismommy
09-13-2004, 06:12 AM
Where did you get the pug fleece? We have a pug and I would love to make Bella a blanket like that. Thanks.
Helene
mommy to Isabella
baby x EDD 1/11/05

macassi
09-13-2004, 05:57 PM
I just saw some on e-bay when I decided to see what they had after someone mentioned it in this thread. I used "fleece fabric" as my search criteria.

octmom
09-17-2004, 01:44 PM
Better late than never! Here's a pic of the blanket I made last weekend. :)

Jerilyn
DS, Sean 10/03

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/13197.jpg

wreckgirl1
09-17-2004, 04:02 PM
We received one as a gift, and I must admit, I was pretty skeptical at first ("We don't live on a tundra!") But DD LOVES it. Every time she touches fleece (or fur, including live dogs), she has to lay her head down & suck her thumb, and she'll go to sleep on anything if her blankie is laid down on it. She likes to twirl the ties with her fingers, too.

Make a couple in case it becomes a lovie, so you can have a (small) travel one and a home one (or a spare one to wash). My MIL told me she saw the Tiny Tunes fleece pattern that DD's blankie is in at Wal-mart, and I'm going to have her buy a yard so we can make a travel blankie.

Cynthia
Mommy to Julianna, 9/03