PDA

View Full Version : Old-School Playpens

happymom2b
09-14-2004, 07:02 PM
Hi! We are expecting our first in December. I've registered for a Graco PNP, but this seems more like a portable crib to me. Does anyone know if they still make those large playpens like they had when we were babies?? I would like to find one in addition to the Pack 'n Play. Thanks!

ddmarsh
09-14-2004, 08:06 PM
For the most part traditional playpens have been done away with. Quite a few years ago, when one of my oldest DS's was quite small, there was a huge recall on playpens due to sides collapsing and entrapment danger. After that it seemed like they were done away with for the most part.

I don't know if this will help but I purchased a Today's Kids item no longer made on Ebay that is kind of like a playpen except it does not have a bottom. It has been great for keeping my DD in place :).

LisaMom2Allie
09-15-2004, 02:25 AM
We have a Graco one that came from Babies R Us and it was wonderful. I was in there the other day and they have one that is even better-it has arches w/toys and a removable pad on the bottom. It is bright and really doesn't 'blend' into your decor like the Pack-N-Play but I liked it much better and feel that we actually used it more. Allie had so much more room in it and it made it feel like a play area not just another crib or sleeping place.
We still use ours for travel as a crib/pack-n-play.

Lisa
Mom to Allie Nicole
3-10-03

SashaBear
09-15-2004, 02:48 PM
They are made smaller today so parents aren't so inclined to dump the baby for hours at a time. Most parents just baby-proof the whole room. But they are still great when you are making supper or in the shower.

That being said I did see one at Wal-Mart yesterday. It was made by Graco and was about $26.

Also check out the Graco Sport Pack NPlay. Its a little more expensive than the normal PNP but has more room. It has no weight limit either!

missym
09-15-2004, 04:54 PM
You might consider a Superyard XT. We mostly use ours outdoors, but lots of folks use them inside to cordon off a safe play area.
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=3563945/

You can also buy an extension panel which makes it a little larger. It looks kind of flimsy since it has no floor, but we've never had a problem with her being able to knock it over.

HTH!

happymom2b
09-15-2004, 06:50 PM
Thank you for the advice. I don't plan on leaving the baby in there all day by any means. Just a place to have her/him play while I'm taking care of some odds and ends around the house. I like that those items (i.e. superyard play gate and sport pack n play) are larger.