PDA

View Full Version : Leapfrog Fridge Phonics vs. Neurosmith MagnaPhonics?

Twin Mom
09-14-2004, 10:52 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on either of these toys? I saw the Neurosmith stuff at Tuesday Morning for $14.99 and BJ's has the Fridge Phonics for $12.99. I was wondering which one would be a better choice.

TIA.

nigele
09-14-2004, 10:54 PM
My DS has the Fridge Phonics and ***LOVES*** it. He got it two months ago for his birthday and has played with it every single day since.

lisams
09-15-2004, 01:14 AM
Just got these for DD - http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/stores/detail/-/toys/B0001X0DR6/qid=1095221553/sr=ka-2/ref=pd_ka_2/104-5399237-5921519

We also have the leap frog phonics magnets and she loves them, but I think she likes the farm magnets more. There is a variety of farm songs, and she likes matching the animals. Plus there are less pieces to lose under the fridge!! They are close to the price range for the others, just another idea!

Lisa

jubilee
09-15-2004, 04:15 AM
I saw those the other day at WalMart, and I had a hard time not buying them! So cute and what a great idea with the animals. It is on the Christmas list now!

mommytotwo
09-15-2004, 04:42 PM
My son has the fridge phonics and played with it several times a day for the first couple of months we had it. Even several months later he still plays with it every day. While we've always read to him often and made a point of talking about the letters on the wooden blocks and other toys he uses, etc., I think this toy and the magnetic alphabet letters have really helped him to learn the alphabet. I'd definately recommend it.

Sort-of-related question: We're planning to get a stainless steel fridge when we move and are trying to figure out the best way to have this great toy available for DS#2 when he's old enough. My DS and I are strongly considering intalling a magnet board or (getting an easal with a magnetic board) in the kithen for this toy and the magnetic alphabit that we have. Both have been very popular (and a great learning toy) for DS #1. Any else have suggestions for using the magnetic toys with a stainless steel fridge? The salespeole said the stainless steel looking fridges (Satina finish) just had a layer of paint over the metal and scratched easily. Most indicated that it would look good for the first year or two but afther that would look very scratched and worn if we used it for magnetic toys. Anyone happy with their "Satina" fridge? Does the finish hold up well with magnetic toys?

TIA!

californiagirl
09-15-2004, 05:39 PM
Working in cubicle land I used to use one of these: http://www.kling.com/magicwallpanelsindex.html

mommytotwo
09-15-2004, 06:15 PM
Great idea.. thanks!

Twin Mom
09-16-2004, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback ladies. I think I will keep the Fridge Phonics. I haven't seen the Farm set but that is something to think about as well.

Sue, I have a stainless steel fridge that isn't magnetic (it's about 5 years old) so magnetic stuff goes on the door from my house to the garage which is metal. It's in the laundry room which is right behind my kitchen so I can still keep an eye on my kids.

I also bought one of those Melissa and Doug magnetic boards. It is magnetic on one side and a chalkboard on the other. That way I can bring it in whatever room I want them to play in and they can use the magnets there. You can also buy paint that will make a wall or whatever you paint magnetic.

fauve01
09-18-2004, 12:15 AM
thanks for the tip on these farm magnets! i got them at target today--DD loves them! i like that it's not wrong if they get the animal pairs mixed up. i think this will be good for our upcoming plane trip!

thanks again.

Anne + DD 10-03